• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sppedo gear question

Junkhead

NAXJA Forum User
93 5 speed with np231. Went to install a new, larger speedo gear and noticed that it didn't "clip" into the housing and can fall out under its own weight. Is that normal or is my housing/sensor worn out?

My speedo isn't currently working but I suspect its a wiring issue and haven't traced the wires yet.

On a side note I tightened all the screws on the back of my cluster and the old brittle glue gave on a couple posts and busted the thin copper wires and toasted my temp and oil pressure gauges. :banghead:

Should just slide in and slide out (her words). Can't slide out once it's installed. If you're worried about it getting wonky in the hole goob it up with some wheel/all purpose grease while you're installing it

the o-ring on the speedo sensor can get damaged or torn and then it won't wanna stay put.

Make sure you clock the vehicle speed sensor to the right position. there are numbers printed on the plastic housing of the sensor. You want the appropriate one for your tooth count to be lined up with the metal retainer.

If its not clocked properly your speedometer may not work at all.

Yep... clocking is very important, if it's not lined up right it can either not work or even worse, strip that $40 speedo gear's teeth off within a few miles.

Sometimes they slide out easy, sometimes they clip in/out, just the nature of the beast.

I did a little more investigating and it seems the short shaft gear "clicks" in and the long shaft is held in snug by a small rubber gasket inside the housing. The gasket in mine was a little worn so it doesn't hold the shaft anymore but since the gear itself has nowhere to go inside the t-case I didn't worry about replacing it.

I traced the wires to the dash and they were fine. When I reinstalled the speed sensor I cracked the nut nearly around the entire circumference so I was forced to buy a new one. Turns out the old one was dead and I now have an accurate, working speedometer. Strange thing was it took a few miles before the speedo actually sprang back to life, while I was cursing the Heep for wasting more of my money.

For some reason the speedo doesn't read until over 15 mph, and the trip doesn't work, but I don't care enough to tear the gauge apart and try to fix it.

Make sure you clock the vehicle speed sensor to the right position. there are numbers printed on the plastic housing of the sensor. You want the appropriate one for your tooth count to be lined up with the metal retainer.

91-93 Used the same housing and gear as the older cable speedometers but has a different speed sensor that screws on. These seem to clock differently than the newer style and that gave me a bit of trouble when first trying to install it but I got it figured out. I'll have to snap a few pictures tomorrow after I wash off the mud to change all my fluids.

Last edited:
Back