• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JB conversions SYE seal leak

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody,

I have a 2000 XJ here with a 231 and JB conversions (I think) sye kit installed. It was installed quite a while ago, so I can't quite remember the brand.

Either way, the rear output seal has been leaking for a long time, and I've finally decided to try and fix it. My first issue is that it appears the output yoke actually has a groove in it which may be contributing to the leak.

Is this a common occurrence and what would a suitable part number (spicer perhaps) be to replace it? Is it recommended to replace this? This is what it looks like right now, it's not too bad, but definitely a noticeable groove to the touch
IMAGE_1.jpeg

secondly, NAPA is letting me down here... the NAPA part numbers for the rear seals that I've found online seem to vary quite a bit, at least the part the canadian NAPA here finds for me. right now I have this seal, NAPA part number 18687, but it definitely looks different than other seals I've found online.
IMAGE_2.jpeg

IMAGE_3.jpeg

The other common number that comes up is 18662, but NAPA here only finds that as a two piece brass-looking sleeve/bearing?

And finally, if its decided that I should replace the seal and the output yoke, how do you pull that seal out? It seems like it will be tricky to do... Thanks!

1. Don't expect NAPA or any other parts house to automatically have the correct part for some off-the-wall after market assembly. In a perfect world the manufacturer would have used a common part, and there is likely a part number that can be cross referenced to your application. YOUR BEST BET is to try and get a seal number off the leaking seal, or figure out WHAT brand your SYE is and contact the distributor.

2. Once you have located the appropriate seal, then you might be able to find a redi-sleeve for the yoke. http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/seals/industrial/products/Pages/redisleeves.aspx

Thanks for the input joe. It looks like I will have to pull the seal to know for sure what the correct one is... Can this be done from the outside of the tcase?

The driveline shop here in town had a yoke for me for a reasonable price so I'm not too concerned about that anymore. I just need to get that seal out and replaced

So it ends up, I believe my SYE is actually a PORC SYE. I pulled the seal tonight and the only numbers on it are TTO F494 1. After some googling, I came across this on the 4wd forums if anyone needs it for future PORC SYE reference:

rstarch345 said:
Since PORC has the history of being difficult to talk to and their seals are not marked with a number that can be crossed, I went on a search to find what I could find.

These have all been verified to work.

Seal
OD - 2.7540 in.
ID/Shaft - 1.8430 in.
Width - .5 in.
---- National 470331N, Single Seal, Double lip
---- National 3946, Double Seal, Double lip, most closely resembles original
---- SKF 18472, Flange, Single Seal, Double lip
---- National 714675, Flange, Single Seal, Double lip

Bearing
---- 6207 (35mmx72mmx17mm) Open

Back