• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grooved Torque Converter

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I yanked my tranny out to change the front pump seal, but while the torque converter was out, I checked the surface to make sure it was still smooth. Unfortunately, it was not.

So I see people talking about torque converter repair sleeves, and I start looking. It seems the only torque converter repair sleeves I can find say that it's for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with a 3-speed A340 transmission.

Now NAPA has this:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/A-Trans-Front-Pump-Speedi-Sleeve/_/R-NOS99147_0141304344

I'm thinking that's the right part, but was curious if anyone could confirm that for me.

Thanks!

That will fix the seal surface, as long as it is installed correctly(deep enough). If the bushing surface is worn, you will need a new pump bushing and new/ reman converter.

Doing the bushing and converter is probably your best option in regards to longevity.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...well, new TC anyway, but didn't think about the bushing, but my order with napa got cancelled due to no stock and I wasn't having luck finding one. =( So I figured repair was my next option...

But when I did a check for "Pro-King J30" instead of "AW4 Torque Converter", even O'Reilly's had one. =) So I ordered a remanned TC, new bushing, and new seal. But then I started thinking, are there any bearings I should be worried about?

As long as I'm getting this far into it, might as well fix what needs be fixed.

So anyone know of a Jerry-rigged way of getting that pump out? I can spin it, I can move it about 1/4" in and out, but I cannot get the thing to budge beyond that.

I can't find a bar-type puller like the manual calls for locally, and it takes two weeks and $100 to order one from sears. Anyone got any hints on getting this thing out?

Back