• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

improper gear break in

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
What happens, or what is liable to happen with an improper gear break in?

the surfaces wont go throw the proper final heat treating and the hard facing will eventually peal off like cheep chrome and then they will grind them selfs into little metal bits in the oil . then you will spend money to replace the ring and pinion and bearing and seals.

without going through proper break-ins the heating and cooling cycle will will eventually cause a Ring&pinion failure somewhere down the road.

That's the stuff I was lookin for. Thanks!

Jeepers break in gears?

Pretty much everybody I know, myself included, has gotten their Jeep together at the last minute and just drove it, no time for detailed break ins.

Just don't tow anything, go wheeling, or do any burnouts in the first 500 miles.

After that, change the fluid and have at it.

Just don't tow anything, go wheeling, or do any burnouts in the first 500 miles.

After that, change the fluid and have at it.

And what about people who have trail only rigs?

I took my rig out right when it was done and beat on it/wheeled it. Hell I even did burnouts.

I bet I barely have 500 miles total on it right now.

This topic has been discussed plenty of times before.

And what about people who have trail only rigs?

I took my rig out right when it was done and beat on it/wheeled it. Hell I even did burnouts.

I bet I barely have 500 miles total on it right now.

This topic has been discussed plenty of times before.

if you have a trail only rig that doesn't get over 30-40 mph, then don't even worry about it.

if you have a trail only rig that doesn't get over 30-40 mph, then don't even worry about it.

You live in California Taylor, you know most trail-only rigs out here see speeds twice that and more.

You live in California Taylor, you know most trail-only rigs out here see speeds twice that and more.

thats why I used the qualifier that IF you don't get over those speeds.

One of my races this year saw 50+ mph.

then what are you doing for break in? you should be doing some sort of break in process.

What if you have a trail only rig that sees 2 to 3 times those speeds?

We break ours in by hammering down and changing the fluid at the end of the weekend.

I did a gear swap in Moab after taking all the teeth off of a pinion on a D44. I drove it about 10 miles, went to bed and then wheeled the piss out of it for three days straight. I have over 100k miles on those gears.

Back