• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing on 16x8 wheels and 33x11 tires?

FuryIII

NAXJA Forum User
I'm regearing to 4.56 and I'm moving up in tire size to 33's. With 4.5 inches of lift and relocated flares I'm trying to figure out proper backspacing. I've got Warn's hub conversion up front that put the wheels out about 3/4". I'll probably get spacers to even it out. I just can figure the correct backspacing. The wheels will be 16x8 so I can run the tires I want.

I'm buying these tires:
https://www.treadwright.com/p-115-285-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-b2b-d.aspx

I've run treadwrights for the past 3 years and love 'em.

If it were me, the answer is a question back to you - how much tire coverage are you required to have in your state, how much fender coverage do you have, and how far out do you want them?

Here in Colorado they don't enforce tire coverage, so my 33x12.50's are on 15x10 wheel with 4" backspace, so I net about 4"-5" of the tire hanging out from the fender. But I love the sidehill stability being that wide.

I'm regearing to 4.56 and I'm moving up in tire size to 33's. With 4.5 inches of lift and relocated flares I'm trying to figure out proper backspacing. I've got Warn's hub conversion up front that put the wheels out about 3/4". I'll probably get spacers to even it out. I just can figure the correct backspacing. The wheels will be 16x8 so I can run the tires I want.

My Xj is similar to yours, running 33" X 10.50"s on 15 X 8 rims with 4" of BS. They just fit under the raised and trimmed Factory flares, keeping the cops happy. To accommodate the Warn hubs, and to keep the tires under the flares, a 4.5" BS might work better, adding a spacer to rear if necessary.
I ran the stock alloys rims (7 X 15-5.25" BS) for several years with the 33"s, adding 1-1/4" spacers for clearance.

My Xj is similar to yours, running 33" X 10.50"s on 15 X 8 rims with 4" of BS. They just fit under the raised and trimmed Factory flares, keeping the cops happy. To accommodate the Warn hubs, and to keep the tires under the flares, a 4.5" BS might work better, adding a spacer to rear if necessary.
I ran the stock alloys rims (7 X 15-5.25" BS) for several years with the 33"s, adding 1-1/4" spacers for clearance.

Thanks for the response and I like your rig, capable and very clean. I think the wheels I want goto 4", 4.25 and 4.5". So I'll go with 4.25, throw in a spacer out back and call it a day. I'm about 4.5 to almost 5" in lift and a little wider wont hurt. I'm thinking I'll need to bumpstop a little more too.

Im working on my first jeep build right now. Sorry to bring back an old thread, I plan on running 285/75R16 on 16x8s. Most 16x8s have 4.5" backspacing, is that enough clearance or should I try to find some with 4"? Im not concerned about tire coverage but i dont want them to sit too wide

<redacted />

Last edited:
Im working on my first jeep build right now. Sorry to bring back an old thread, I plan on running 285/75R16 on 16x8s. Most 16x8s have 4.5" backspacing, is that enough clearance or should I try to find some with 4"? Im not concerned about tire coverage but i dont want them to sit too wide

I can't answer your question specifically, but I run 265/75R16s on moabs with no wheel spacers and I dont have any rubbing issues.

10.5 is as wide as you can go stock bs, without the tire contacting the leafs/bolts. So 4.5 should be okay. But of you can go 4 I would to that

i ran 285/75s (33x11.50) on moabs, and had to add wheel spacers to keep them off of the control arms and leafs. 5.5" BSing - 1.5" spacers = 3" backspacing.

4.5" of lift and lots of trimmin:
577594_360545297333226_681329569_n.jpg

295479_367583313296091_1336405280_n.jpg

(the suspension has since been tuned a lot better, and i can use all the travel with the added traction of lockers)

Not to be picky, but 5.5-1.5=4, not 3. Very nice looking rigs and great info. Thank you all. Starting to build my 84 2 door xj.

Ford wheels have better backspacing than any OE Jeep wheels and can be had cheap in a junkyard.

I'm not a fan of alloys, but I got a nice set of 99 towncar wheels for $100. Just had to bore out the center. They stick out 1.5 inches more on each side than the Libby wheels.

Now just need to find another set for my mud tires.

285x17 on 8' rims with 4"BS, 4-4.5 lift and trimed. I also have hub kit and it makes the front track wider and stick out more than rear. but, that is OK because you have more fender clearence in the front. You will have to search for wheels with 4-4.5 BS. Why 17's? Becuase it gives the same side wall as a stoick XJ on a 15" rim and the selection of mud, AT and truck tires is the greatest in that size.

Back