• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle help

88crawlerxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently purchased a 96 Cherokee 4 door. Its a 2wd for now but my plan is to have a dd/very capable weekend wheeler. I need opinions on the axles I'm leaning toward 60/14 as of now but would like more opinions. The jeep will be daily driven. Gonna do a complete custom frame out of 2x3x3/16 steel, leaf spring conversion on the front. My options for axles are 44/9 44/44 or 60/14. A Dana 60 kingpin where I'm from ranges from 1000-1500 alone stock.

I'd honestly say stay coils, and d30 and 8.25 keep is simple and under 35s. This is just my view for now. 8.8 and a waggy 44 is a good combo same for the 44&44

I would run 30/8.25 but I plan to do some hard wheeling. And if I run 1 tons it'll be on 39.5s and 44s it'll be on 35-36s. I'm going leafs cause I've always wanted a leaf sprung Cherokee. And I hate the unibody so that's why I'm building the custom frame

quite the task for 2 posts. stop for a second.

whats your background? what your budget? whats the terrain you wheel? how heavy is your right foot?

I've always had Cherokees on 33s locked 30/8.8 was the last one. The budget is there but I wanna build it right the first time. I don't have a heavy foot id rather slowly crawl something than haul ass up it as fast as I can

Why not get a old full size cherokee? It has the frame, it has leafs, and you might actually be able to do what you think you want to...

you have given us no real information at all other than "custom frame" and front leaves and you are asking for an opinion about axles ? right there is a red flag with the front leaves.

if I were to do it all over again, on the XJ platform, id go late model, I would stay 30/8.8 on 33s locked F/R with 4.10s and get the 241OR 4:1 and call it done. cage, trussed , gusseted, all that crap.

Im on a hp44 front and currie hi9 (rear end was free or id be running an 8.8, lp9, or a 44) rear on 36s and tons of crap done to it. Best bang for the buck is keeping it cheap and well within its capabilities. I wish I stayed on 33s , 30/9 and called it done. Honestly. and the usual plating and armor.

follow your heart and go 60/14. at least then youll brake other crap most likely like the 231 case. I didnt see any mention of an atlas?

I disagree, the 231 is pretty stout, ct67_72 ran one on 40s for a few runs and a long time on 37s. Also the build El junky is still running a 231 on 40s.

But as has been said stay on 33s and factory axles for a while and wheel the shit out of it.

I disagree, the 231 is pretty stout, ct67_72 ran one on 40s for a few runs and a long time on 37s. Also the build El junky is still running a 231 on 40s.

But as has been said stay on 33s and factory axles for a while and wheel the shit out of it.

I can assure you Dan CT67-72 doesn't get throttle happy and always wheels level headed(not to say that the 231j doesn't have any strength but, they can turn into a mess easily.

Why not save yourself the hassle and buy a cheap full size truck thats been beat to hell and modify the frame and XJ body to fit? Then you have a full frame, full running gear, v8, proper steering geometry, unlimited tire clearance, heavier duty components.

................or why not let the dude build what he wants??
it sure seems like alot of work to me and will require alot of engineering to make it work reliably. thats why i wouldn't build anything like he is planning. however that doesnt mean you need to talk him out of it.
NAXJA is an enthusiast club.. not just a wheeling club. there are people here who love their stock rigs and dont have interest in anything beyond OEM, and there are people who have found that a stock-bodied vehicle doesnt stand up to their heavy foot and point-and-click driving styles.
either way, the common thread is the love of the body style and the brand.

to each his own, and if it doesnt fit your style just read it and click to the next thread..

................or why not let the dude build what he wants??

" I need opinions ..."

He asked for opinions and he will get them. And based on a vague very open ended question about Axles- if he actually researched thoroughly and actually knew what he wanted he wouldnt be posting this vague question about front leaves on an Xj (practically blasphemy) here would he now? Therefore he will get all sorts of opinions, especially from everything from the set {front leaves, 60/14, 2wd to 4wd, and "custom frame" } . He doesnt know what he wants , so he posted the above question to get ideas from everyone.

I mean, its just flat out easier and 10x cheaper to go to a full size blazer , old wagoneer or Charger or Bronco if you want {front leaves, 60/14, 2wd to 4wd, and "custom frame" } since you can get them with full frame, 4wd, front leaves, one tons pretty easily. if he were to have added a potential v8 swap he would have perfectly described all of the above.

It sounds like he wants to build a 3/4 scale Suburban to me. And the dude is worried about a D60 costing up to $1500 where he lives. Makes me wonder if he priced out something as simple as tires yet. A new set of 40" tires is going to run him close to double that installed, more if he wants new wheels too.

I agree that its his rig and he can do what he wants, but he did ask for opinions, and opinions were given.

I just recently purchased a 96 Cherokee 4 door. Its a 2wd for now but my plan is to have a dd/very capable weekend wheeler. I need opinions on the axles I'm leaning toward 60/14 as of now but would like more opinions. The jeep will be daily driven. Gonna do a complete custom frame out of 2x3x3/16 steel, leaf spring conversion on the front. My options for axles are 44/9 44/44 or 60/14. A Dana 60 kingpin where I'm from ranges from 1000-1500 alone stock.

I have seen very few daily driven XJ's on 60/14 simply because the gas mileage drops dramatically with the 800 or so pounds you have added to the vehicle. If you want 40's the 60/14 makes sense, otherwise weight and clearance penalties are prohibitive unless they are expensive custom axles. 30/8.8, 30/44, 30/8.25, 44/44 or 44/8.8 are the best options up to 35-36 tires which is really the limit for a daily driven XJ. The 44/44 combo is what the NAXJA - Petty Cash stock class KOH racer is running on 35's, so obviously it can be built for strength.

Back