• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRT DOOR WON'T LOCK

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4dr w/ Power Locks.

The right front door will not lock with either the power button, the key fob or when I manually turn the key. The cylinder works and turns, when I use the key rotating to the lock position the door will lock, but depressing the outside handle 2 or more times it will unlock.

I believe I have a bind in the linkage, possibly from a power motor not fully actuating. Has anyone any experience with a similar situation? I won't have a chance to tear into the door until next week. Thanks.

Have you recently taken the door panel off? Sometimes when removing the panel the linkage can get bent and keep the door from actually locking. Happened to me and didn't notice it for 2 weeks. Just had to pull the panel back off and play with the linkage .

It sounds more sypmtomatic of a failing actuator that just doesn't have the "umph" to operate the linkage / lock any more. This is fairly common. I've replaced 3 of the 5 actuators on my '98 already.

I do keep spares, picking them off Ebay as they show up for about $25 on average....

To remove your door panel, use a putty knife on each side of the door panel clips to pop them off. When you do replace the actuator, keep track of which rod goes where from your door handle, and you should be good to go. The linkages themselves have rotating lock clip of sorts, but should be easy to figure out. Just don't bend the linkages while removing the lock clip....

The first step is to clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms. Old grease and oily grime will cause extra mechanical resistance that may prevent smooth functioning. Use Throttle Body cleaner spray and BreakFree CLP gun oil that contains a cleaning agent in the oil.

Often all they need is good cleaning to return to normal function.

Once everything is clean and functioning smoothly you can determine if there is a bind in the linkage, or an issue with the power lock actuator.

The cylinder works and turns, when I use the key rotating to the lock position the door will lock, but depressing the outside handle 2 or more times it will unlock.

Based on this I believe you have a linkage issue or multiple issues. Even if the power lock solenoid isn't working you should still be able to lock the door with they key and the outside handle should not be able to do as you say.

Got to it yesterday. The linkage was whacked. Must have happened when I replaced the radio speakers last year and I just noticed the problem.

It's great to live in an honest neighborhood.

Based on this I believe you have a linkage issue or multiple issues. Even if the power lock solenoid isn't working you should still be able to lock the door with they key and the outside handle should not be able to do as you say.

Got to it yesterday. The linkage was whacked. Must have happened when I replaced the radio speakers last year and I just noticed the problem.

It's great to live in an honest neighborhood.

Good call, Talyn! :cheers:

Back