• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Issue

KJWildman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ, 4.0HO , 4" IRO long arm and a bunch of other stuff done, but now I'm having problems with my headlights. My XJ is my DD and I work 2nd shift. I drive home (depending on o.t.) between midnight and 4am about 45 miles through NW Ohio farm country with corn, wheat and soybean fields almost the whole way, along with the occasional farmhouse. LOTS OF DEER!
I recently replaced my headlights with led lights and made a huge difference in how many deer I see before they jump out in front of me! My problem started last week when I dropped from hi beam to low beams for an oncoming car. MY LIGHTS WENT COMPLETELY OUT!!!!!! I played with the turn signal stalk flipping from hi to lo and back several times and they came back on. .....okay, I think it must be the switch. Got a replacement switch from NAPA and installed it this past weekend. I thought I was good! WRONG! Last night it happened again! Luckily the roads I drive are straight and flat.
So, the headlights have been changed, the switch at the base of the steering column for hi/lo beam has been changed, I checked for good grounds. Is there a main headlight relay that may be going bad? I don't think it's the dashboard headlight switch because they go back on if I flip the hi/lo beams on and off, I never touched the dash switch. Doesn't happen very often but could I have gotten a bad switch from NAPA out of the box? Do I need to try and adjust it differently?

HELP!!! I normally see 6-8 deer beside the road during the week and I don't need my lights to go out as I come up on one. I've hit 4 in the last year and a half ( named my XJ "The Deerslayer" ! :D ) and I don't really want to hit another.

Not sure if the 95 FSM I have is correct for the 91 wiring, but fuses 5, 15, and 4 all should be involved, with fuse 4 in particular with circuit L11--the dimmer switch.

Good luck.

PS--describe the LED headlights you installed and any modifications you have made to the headlight harness.

Last edited:
The headlight switch has a built in circuit breaker. If a circuit, like say the low beams, park lights or even the headlight delay module draws too much current, the circuit breaker will shut down the power until things cool back down.

Most of the fuses are after the circuit breaker, one technique is to change the fuses out for a lower value and see what pops. You may be able to identify the overheating circuit this way.

If the problem is in the switch itself, you can stick your finger behind the headlight knob and feel the excess heat on the metal knob rod.

Some common spots for trouble are the headlight connector itself and the mid harness connector behind the airbox in the engine compartment.

I don't think the 91 has a headlight relay, but I sure don't know for sure.

Best guess is a connector is overheating and plus the amp draw for the headlight circuit, it is popping the circuit breaker. The dimer built into the headlight switch is another thing that can generate a bunch of heat. Those dimmers cause a lot of grief and even new fail on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting it narrowed down to the headlight switch itself finally starting to go bad. Lost my lights again on Friday on the way home from work at 3 am and since I had already changed the dimmer switch, started playing with the headlight switch and voila! I changed it out Sunday morning and didn't have any problem last night at all.
I'll post a link for the headlights I put in later off the home computer. There was no modification, just plug 'n play.
Thanks again!

Back