• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on clocking a 231

blenny

RRC President
Basically comes down to why doesn't everyone do it? It seems like a very inexpensive simple mod that gets the t case out of harms way. Why wouldn't more people do it when they do a SYE since they already have the tcase out. I am running a ax15/231 how does separating the tcase by 3/8in effect the tranny output seal?

I clocked mine so it's flat. It was easy other than the seal issue. I ended up getting one from teraflex, but it still wasn't quite right and I ended up having to machine the outer seal housing to fit the AW4 tailshaft.

I just raised my whole transmission up 5". Less work.

I did this (not sure on actual amount) but my pulleys tried to eat the e-fan and my transfer case met the floor.

a good set of motor mounts would have fixed that.

the OEM ones, while nice for vibration allow entirely too much movement. my mech fan tried to eat the radiator once.

IIRC, TJ cases are drilled differently, in which they are already "clocked up" a bit. As far as the floor pan, I have heard most just use a BFH to aid in clearance.

IIRC, TJ cases are drilled differently, in which they are already "clocked up" a bit. As far as the floor pan, I have heard most just use a BFH to aid in clearance.

no. all NP 231, 242, 249 cases have the same clocking. not sure but I would bet the 241 as well.

its the transmissions that are different.

a good set of motor mounts would have fixed that.

the OEM ones, while nice for vibration allow entirely too much movement. my mech fan tried to eat the radiator once.

Not trying to start an argument, and I understand OEM mounts suck, but regardless, my motor/trans was at a bad angle. I don't think mounts would help that. A motor mount lift, yes, but then there would be firewall clearance issues...

Not trying to start an argument, and I understand OEM mounts suck, but regardless, my motor/trans was at a bad angle. I don't think mounts would help that. A motor mount lift, yes, but then there would be firewall clearance issues...

Really?

Here is my setup transmission is flat, t-case is raised up as high as it can go without hitting the floor

IMGP5927.jpg

Plenty of room
P1070790.jpg

Whearas with oem motor mounts my mech fan touched the rad

Here's how I did mine, copied most of the text from another forum.

I was not confident in my precision drilling skills so I opted to use a prefab clocking ring instead of re-drilling the adapter housing. This pulled the tcase too far out of the trans though and wouldn't seal. So we swapped in a longer 231 input/planetary from another case. This was too long and wouldn't allow the tcase to seat fully so I hacked it off with a cutoff wheel.

Cut line.
CIMG6940.jpg

No turning back.
CIMG6941.jpg

I cut slowly stopping often to cool off the input with a wet paper towel. Didn't want to cook the seal or weaken the shaft.
CIMG6942.jpg

Clocking ring mounted and input shaft OD rounded off.
CIMG6944.jpg

Tucked up above the framerails.

CIMG6951.jpg

I ended up clearancing the floor a little with the mini sledge as well around the corner of the tcase so it would have enough room for everything to fit happily.

CIMG6992_zps9b3b500b.jpg

Then I began fabricating a new crossmember to mount everything to. 2x4x.25" main beam and .25" plate. I switched to a Chevy trans mount to gain clearance there and keep everything tucked up as much as possible.

CIMG6985_zps6b9fc6e8.jpg

CIMG6988_zps6ea3decf.jpg

Blenny, i did it on mine but I suppose there was no reason for you to crawl under and see it last time. I bought a clocking ring second hand for cheap. Of course, I've got the aw4.

Thanks man. Doing a flat belly and always looking for ways to streamline. Also looks like a good one to use for a doubler support.

No prob, that trans mount combined with brown dog motor mounts make everything feel nice and solid. I ended up building a 3link front off that crossmember and running a full flat belly skid. There's definitely not a lot of room once you get links and exhaust under there.

Back