• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help - strange noise at nighway speeds when giving it gas in gear

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't driven my '94 XJ (4.0L 5spd SE, slec-trac) much at highway speeds but I know I have a wheel balance issue. For around town driving, keeping it around 50mph I am fine.

I just drove down to a friend's 150 miles away and it is all interstate, and I noticed a pretty serious noise. The toubling thing is that is sounds tied to only when I hit the gas pedal at higher speeds. Even though I don't get more power when opening up the throttle, the noise gets worse and less when I back off. Kindof a rough vibration. When I shift into neutral and give it gas, it sounds perfectly fine. As you can imagine, it's hard to hear at highway speeds. I am wondering if it is the tranny or transfer case. It sounds like the engine is running rough but it is probably the whole system? I did change clutch flywheel and plate last year, 10k miles ago and I feel like the new hardware is still breaking in a bit - it feels like I am lugging the clutch and not the engine at some low speeds but I don't have a tach.

My front tires are worn on the inside edge, it's obvious if you like at them. I did U-joints and sway bar links in the past couple years. I just haven't had the money to swap the tires. My rims were for 225/75/15 wheels and mine are 235 so they look a little flat but aren't. Next on my list is to find a couple used matching tires for the set since I buy the cheap common wrangler radials. I know they suck but they are cheap and I get better mileage.

Maybe I could reverse-mount the front tires to put the wear on the outside and maybe swap them to the rear?

I almost forgot to mention, the noise seems to drop a lot if not all the way when I shift into 4H. So I am wondering, is this a wheel issues straining the transfer case, am I maybe stretching the chain? I replaced the transfer case from a 96 XJ a couple years back and had to merge some parts with the old case.

I have to drive back tomorrow night so any help is appreciated! I have tried to record the noise on my phone but that Jeep is so noisy to begin with.

Last edited:
Sounds like the noise could be driveshaft related whether it is a U joint starting to go bad or a driveshaft angle. Try removing the front driveshaft to confirm it is or isnt the problem.

Back