• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fox Shocks

conejocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
First off, let me say that i am only interested in Fox Socks, i have my reasons.

Which do I want? I'm looking at the Fox performance series. They have a reservoir and non-reservoir available. Is it worth the extra money to get the reservoirs and what will they do for me?

The new rig will be a 2000 XJ, auto, Full-Traction 6" long arm kit, caged, 33" tires, 4.56's with a Detroit rear and an E-locker up front. We spend a lot of time running in wash boarded washes at moderate speed, some trails, some rock crawling and very little street. We might do 30-50 miles a day.

My family is usually on board, so I'm looking for a shock that will help smooth out the rough stuff and allow me to have some fun... In other words, not have to hear my wife say,"slow down, it's too rough", as she did with my Procomp ES9000s and a custom 3 link with mid arms.

I appreciate the input.

Fox shocks on my LJ that are rated for "factory performance" are stiff and quite interesting to slam over the train tracks each day.

The Bilstein 5100 shocks on my MJ are a good combination of soft over bumps and firm in the corners.

I put bilstein 7100's on teh front of my XJ and the ride is awesome with a 3 link in the front. I'd bomb down the beach at the outer banks around 40mph and they just soaked up everything. Prothane bumpstops helped a bit I think.

Get whatever is equivalent to those. Definitely remote reservoir.

30-50 miles of washboard? Get the reservoirs. A 2.5 resi shock is probably way overkill, but a 2.0 resi makes sense to me. You want the extra oil capacity to prevent fade if you are trying to maintain handling & moderate speed for an hour or so.
You probably know it, but decreasing tire pressure will help on washboard, too.

Consider posting this on the Jeepspeed section, you might get a better response.

Back