• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accessory plug next to cig lighter? Also - instrument panel swaps?

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
I was taking apart the dash today to rewire the stereo and install a kill switch in my cig lighter panel. The panel above that is just for show so I am glad I could put some more gauges or toys there if need be.

There is a grey plug with maybe 6 connections in a cavity to the left of my cig lighter and to the right of my steering wheel. What option might this be used for? Cruise control? Flux Capacitor?

Also, my instrument panel is very basic - big gas gauge, big speedo, battery, oil, temp LIGHTS no meters. Since I have a 5spd I would at least like a tach.

If I get an instrument panel from another XJ that has a tach and say a battery gauge, will it work and have all the hook-ups I need?

'94 2dr Cherokee SE 4.0L.

my 95 had a rear wiper and fog light switch there I believe.

and yes a full gauge cluster is a common swap you may need to replace the temp sensor (the one at the back of the head, the smaller one) and the oil pressure switch to get the gauges to read correctly.make sure you get one from a 91-95 (maybe 96) XJ, so you have the electronic speedometer hookup. earlier versions were cable operated.

^ this. I have already switched from the ridiculously stupid cluster that has a GIANT fuel gauge and speedo with several idiot lights to the one that has the dial indicators for everything and a tach. I will also be putting a stock EU boost gauge from a diesel XJ where my voltage reading currently is.

At any rate, like Grimm said, it all plugs right in. You will need to change your coolant temp sender to gauge and your oil pressure sensor. Each takes like 10 minutes and are cheap and readily available at your local auto parts store.

That 6 wire plug is for the stock dash clock option. On my MJ the fog, rear wiper, rear cargo light and defrost plugs are there unused but they are each a seprate plug. My clock panel is right above the cig lighter and uses a round edge plug, square-ish with 6 wires.

That 6 wire plug is for the stock dash clock option. On my MJ the fog, rear wiper, rear cargo light and defrost plugs are there unused but they are each a seprate plug. My clock panel is right above the cig lighter and uses a round edge plug, square-ish with 6 wires.

unless I misunderstood him he said it was to the side of his cig plug not above it. you are however correct there was also a dash clock option but IIRC the plug on my 87 MJ only had 3 or 4 terminals in it.

google image search for "jeep xj dash clock" and lots of pics of the various connectors over the years come up.

Last edited:
The dash clock option ended in 1991. After that, the clock was in the radio.

Back