• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler

Seeker

NAXJA Forum User
My muffler just feel apart. What muffler do you guys run?
Ideally, I would like something quiet at low rpm's and reminds me that it's there above 3000 and I want to keep my 3" diesel tail pipe because it's cool

I believe that the stock is around 18" length. A magnaflow/dynomax ultraflo in that size should be good.

I am going to run in to the same problem either way because it has the 2.5 or whatever it is coming from the cat. But this may work.The local junkyard is having a sale. Maybe I can find something in the right size. Can I clamp a muffler or does it need to be welded?
get one off a diesel to match your tail pipe.

Thrush makes a welded muffles that has a good note and is reasonably quiet .
It is shorter than OEM, but with a couple of extension pipes fits fine.

I would avoid the folded/wrap mufflers you get at the autoparts store because they seem to rattle after a bit.

Clamp, weld, braise; whatever your preference.
I have done all 3 at one time or another.

Ron

I run a Flowmaster Super 40 Delta Flow and I like it a lot. It's not that loud, but you can tell it's not a stock muffler either. Has a nice burbly idle and a smooth, somewhat deep tone that just sounds how a Jeep should IMO. I like it a lot more than the 50 series that I ran on my old '87 XJ (way too much drone). I'm also running a Dynomax mandrel bent tailpipe which may affect the sound. The rest of the exhaust is an improved-design stock style exhaust manifold, stock cat, all 2.25" piping.

I watched a ton of YouTube vids before settling on this muffler, it seems people have uploaded videos for just about any muffler you could imagine on an XJ. If you want something a bit louder the Flowmaster Super 44 sounds really nice too BTW.

Last edited:
Glass packs are cheap, and hold up well on the trail due to their torpedo design and heavy casing, but...

They do not act as a spark arrestor, so if you play in National Forests, you can be fined if a Ranger decides to do a vehicle once over looking for an arresting device (OEM ""Style"" muffler).

I don't know what they are like with a CAT, but when I ran one on my 86' I couldn't stand the resonations at certain RPMs.

For a bit less than $20 more you can buy one of these: http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/Thrush-Welded-Mufflers/763864/10002/-1
and you will avoid the reasons why I don't use glasspacks anymore :D

They do not act as a spark arrestor, so if you play in National Forests, you can be fined if a Ranger decides to do a vehicle once over looking for an arresting device (OEM ""Style"" muffler).

:D

I remember some years ago someone was in the Florida Everglades National Forest and set it on fire with their vehicle exhaust. It took about a week to put out the fire. The last thing I hear was the fire department and the forestry service wanted to bill the vehicle owner for all the resources expended to put out the fire. :smoker:

Back