• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brake replacement

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
How hard will it be to do rear drum brakes on my own? I got a Hanes manual, will it give me enough knowledge to do on my own? :smoker:

You can do them if you are patient.

Always and forever, heed the advice to do one side at a time -- you will need to refer to the side that is still together.

Two or three special tools are simple, cost only a few bucks, and do make the job easier.

Like Pelican said, a few simple tools will help. I find these useful for XJ drums, makes short work of the process.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=289&division=1&category=1

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=7&division=1&category=1

Made in the USA, inexpensive, and almost all the auto parts stores have them.

Haynes? I'm sure there's way better stuff on YouTube, you just have to sort through it.

I agree, buy the right tools and it takes the FRUSTRATION out of the project, if you do the project by yourself the savings will pay for the tools. Definitely do one side at a time.

Since this is your first time, do yourself a favor and take some pictures during disassembly. Takes the whole pondering "did I take that spring out first?" out of the equation.

Def taking pics lol. What about balancing brakes and making sure they are adjusted properly? That's the part I'm most concerned about. Thanks for input

Not sure what you mean by balancing?

Adjusting is not technically difficult but can sometimes be a bit of a PITA. Disk brakes by design drag just a bit. Drum brakes should be adjusted to where they drag slightly and then backed off just to where there is no drag. Generally, the final adjustment is made after everything is back together by backing up and applying brakes sharply several times.

One other caution: note that the length of the lining is different on the front and rear shoes.

Not sure what you mean by balancing?

Adjusting is not technically difficult but can sometimes be a bit of a PITA. Disk brakes by design drag just a bit. Drum brakes should be adjusted to where they drag slightly and then backed off just to where there is no drag. Generally, the final adjustment is made after everything is back together by backing up and applying brakes sharply several times.

One other caution: note that the length of the lining is different on the front and rear shoes.

"Short" lined shoes go on the front.

Make sure and "roll" the cups on both ends of each wheel cylinder--ANY moisture you have to replace the wheels cylinders.

Last, and most important of all, donate that Haynes manual to the outhouse--that is all they are good for. You can get LEGAL reprints of factory service manuals or the entire manuals on CD from www.autobooksbishko.com

Back