• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird grinding noise

JasonxCT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj and when im driving I hear a grinding noise coming from the rear axle. I believe its a pinion bearing but im not too sure. how hard are these to replace and are they costly? sorry im new to this

All the time even when not on the gas? The sound change when on and off the gas?
If its the same with no load and you have fluid in the diff then i will look at the drums. springs and keepers like to rot and then make all sorts of noise.

have you ever disassembled a diff before?, if not I wouldn't recommend it, where in CT are you?, send me a pm and I'll see if I can help you out.

All the time even when not on the gas? The sound change when on and off the gas?
If its the same with no load and you have fluid in the diff then i will look at the drums. springs and keepers like to rot and then make all sorts of noise.

it makes noise all the time when im moving but it makes even more noise when I get on the gas

Back