• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting oversize spare inside rear hatch

Gray XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 31 inch spare that I wanted to put on the inside of my XJ, I was just going to lay it flat and use some come alongs to strap it to the anchors , any other ideas on this? I have a bike hitch that I use a lot so mounting it outside is a no go, plus I don't like how mounting the spare tire carrier on the back blocks your vision out the back window. Any help would be awesome!

Do you have passengers using the rear seat?

If you unlatch the back of the rear seat, turn the rim around, and maybe replace the mounting bolt it should fit.

Some people let some air out of theirs to get a little more clearance.

Oh thats a good idea, I have to put the kids in the back from time to time if the the ol lady is using the other car though.

I have a custom made bracket (made by someone else) that allow a 31 to be secured in the stock location. Works good. I can take a pic if you want so you have an idea.

By removing the black bracket on the floor and extending the stock j-bolt some have been successful in doing that as well.

Yea ,please send me a pic of the bracket, I will try just taking out the little black foot first but can also use your trick. Gotta keep things simple with the ol Jeep so I can move on to my death wobble problem!

Well I took out the foot and flipped the tire around and would not fit when I closed the hatch, I think I will just try a 30x9.50 or 235 on the spare wheel.

Back