• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Issues Again... Please View...

Details on my Jeep:

Jeep Cherokee XJ
102,000 Original Miles
Nates front and rear bumper
Quadratec HD leafs, Shocks and IRO Budget Boost
Stock Motor

Background Story
About two months ago the AC began acting funny. It would just stop blowing. There would be no fan and no control. If you tapped, hit, or jiggled the controlsit would kick back on.

It was suggested I replace the AC Controls in the dashand I did.

Bam it worked perfectly until today.

Current Story:
Today I have noticed the AC acting like it did prior tothe control change.

The Ac would just stop, no fan, you tap it and it works again. Days would go by and it worksfine. Then today I smell burningplastic. I shut the AC off and it isgone. I turn the AC back on and smokecomes out of the sliders. The AC isworking but obviously something is melting or smoking in the control unit.

The Question:hasta
How do I fix? Where to begin? Can I buy a new old stock factory ac control and sliders. Knock out the possibility it was just a bad junkyard part since it came out of a similar model? Has anyone had asimilar issue?

This is my daily driver and I live in Florida so I wouldlike to do it right since my goal is to keep this on the road 10 more yearsuntil I give it to my 6 year old.

Side note (Many may also see a similar post on another forum. Please pardon the duplicate I am just looking for multiple answers.)

First thing is to find the melted or damaged wires. Then using a wire diagram figure out what the wires are controlling, then trace the wires for a short to ground or whatever the overload may be that is damaging the control head.

To be honest until you give more information this is probably the best that anyone can do through the interweb. You will probably need to buy another control head anyway. Just don't install it until you get the problem fixed.

Back