• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get this 8.25 axle? (have D35 now)

jackmb

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the junkyard today getting some other parts, and saw a Chrysler 8.25 axle under a XJ.
I have a D35 rear axle now, I don't go hard-core off-roading (compared to what it seems like a lot of people here do). My XJ is my DD and on the weekends I go into the mountains on dirt trails (can get a little rough, but nothing truly crazy) to go shooting.

My XJ:
1992 4wd 5sp 4.0l (3.07 geared) 3" lift 31" tires

The donor XJ:
1995 2wd AT 4.0l (3.55 geared???) no lift. It had a 2" hitch receiver on it if that's a clue.
(fairly certain it was a 95, but there were a few and now that I'm at home writing this, I'm not positive anymore)

Will my current driveshaft work with the 8.25 axle? Any issues to be aware of other than unbolt off/bolt on (besides gearing)? What would be the ideal gearing to use?

Additionally, is it even worth it?
1- Assuming it is on 95, that means it's a 27 spline, not a 29. Should I only bother if it's coming out of a 97+?
2- Is it really an upgrade in my situation? Or a $120 solution to a non-existent problem?

I'd be in no hurry to swap it, if I get it, it would sit in the garage and I'd get to work on finding a set of disc brakes to put on the axle before installing it on the XJ.

Buy it and you will have to re-gear it or your D30.

If you could grab the D30 and the 8.25 from the same vehicle you would be all set, and have a slightly lower gearing too boot.

You may want to wait until a 4WD XJ with a 8.25 AND a D30 comes around, then grab the Axles and Driveshafts as rear shafts change lengths between Manual/Automatic and D35 and 8.25.

Joe's spot on about the gearing; it's a popular swap for Manuals. The Autos had 3.55 and with 31" tires and a Manual is about right for DD/Trail.

Ron

i have 3.55s in my manual... its not great, but its better than F'in 3.07s on 33s.

anyway, id wait for something out of a 4WD, that way you an grab the matching front axle.

your front shaft is going to bolt in no problem. but finding a rear drive shaft that is the right length may be an issue... auto and manual trans have different drive shafts, and drive shafts also changed depending on rear axle.

No don't get it. It's not a 29-spline and you'll have to regear the front. This is a $600 solution looking for a problem to solve. Find a 29 spline and then do the swap.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll be passing on this one. Like I said, it wasn't something I was really looking for, just saw it and thought huh, maybeeee...

I'd agree with all above, find yourself a 97-99 4x4 AT 4.0 donor and pull both axles. Should be as easy as finding any 97-99 donor really, almost all of them were 4.0/auto/4x4 and most but not all without ABS had 8.25s. All ABS had d35s, but not all non-ABS weren't d35s, if that makes sense.

at this point have you consdiered grabbing an 8.8 with 4.10s and LS for the same price(if youre going to re gear the front anyway).

you should be able to source a 3.55 front dana 30 on your local classifieds for free or maybe 20$. we usually give them away out here.
Id say for the 27 spline rear if the price is right , and if you cant find a 29 spline 8.25, go with the 27 spline . If you can find a 29 spline, do that.
If you dont mind welding up some shock mounts and spring perches, do the 8.8 with 4.10s, LSD, and call it done.

Back