• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Issue and Question About Pump Crossovers

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. Was hoping to get some feedback on an issue Im having with my wifes 2000 Cherokee. Its a 4.0 auto, and has about 188k miles on it.

Recently, her steering went to crap and was getting death wobble....bone stock jeep. So I found play in the steering box output shaft, as well as bad shocks and totally shot sway bar bushings and end links.

I replaced the box and all of the other parts, and the jeep was riding and steering really nice again. Only problem is, it had no power steering at idle. So when slowing to pull into a driveway, or when making a tight slow turn, or getting into a parking spot, it was horrible. Zero assistance. I bled the system, and turned the wheel at least 200 times with it on jack stands. Took forever. Still didn't work.

Went to bed, figuring on fixing it the next day. Got in it in the morning, and it had steering at idle. Took it on a half hour drive on twisty back roads, and it was perfect. Steering was great, everything was great.

Packed up, headed home. It was mostly on 202, no turns, 60 mph...seemed fine. Until I stopped in town. No more power steering at idle. This time it wasn't kicking in until higher in the RPM band vs. 1000 rpm before. Its rather hard to drive the thing like that and I certainly cant give it back to my wife.

Question is, has anyone had a steering pump go bad out of the blue like that? LIke after changing the steering box? And is it possible that it worked, then went to crap again? Im planning to replace the pump tomorrow, I just wanted to get some feedback.

Also...does anyone know why the pump for a 94 4.0 is different than the pump for the 2000? Autozone lists them as different, even though they appear identical. Same steering box. Newer pulley is plastic, older one is metal and they are slightly different diameters. No worry because Im going to get a new pulley anyway. But Just wondering if I can use the 94 part number on the 2000....

Thanks for any info!

Justin

Just an update... This morning I get in, no power steering at idle. I drive maybe 5 minutes out of my neighborhood to my son's daycare, and as Im pulling in, I get power steering back.

Then from Norristown PA to West Chester PA...turnpike and 202 driving, it was perfect. Worked all the way to work. About the same distance as yesterday when it was working, then stopped.

I just wish it would quit and stay quit. I dont think I can avoid changing the pump even though its working right now. Is this even possible? For the pump to work, not work, work, not work?

Fluid level is fine. No leaks. I find it hard to belive there's still an air pocket.

J.

Back