• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on airbags?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done airbags in the back of an XJ? I've read GoJeeps writeup already, looking for more experience to draw on.
I don't really want to lift or add spring to the XJ just now, but I'd like to be able to level it back out when I put a trailer or a bunch of climbing / camping junk in it.

Having had airbags on several 1 ton truck i can say that i really did not care for them, i started using timbren rubber springs and i like them a lot more. they are not adjustable which in my book is a selling point, but they are cheaper ride better and dont have the float you get from airbags when heavily loaded.

if you do got the airbag route i suggest you make sure you have on board air and the self leveling kit, as well as adjustable shocks.

one other thing to note is that if you use airbags you will have very little flex as the airbags also act as limiting straps and will get torn up quickly if you do use your jeep offroad.

The timbren springs replace the bump stops so they will reduce up travel some unless you are really loaded, but they do not affect axle droop at all

$200 for a solution isn't bad, though I'm not sold on it being better than the right length airbag. They don't *have* to be limit straps.

air bags bolt together, one on the top and one on the bottom, I am pretty sure the are all like this even on big trucks so they really only have 3-4 inches of travel and it is pretty much all compression

I had them on my 98 when I got it. They were handy since the leafs were shot. Didn't have on board air. If I didn't have a compressor available I just used a bike pump. They are useful but limiting at the same time. I guess it all depends on what you do with it. There are bags for the lowrider guys that offer quite a bit more travel, but will cost you a bit more.

I just find that if you dont have the compressor with the ride heigh adjuster you spend way too much time fussing with them... but maybe my expectations are higher than other people... riding around with too much air for your current load is no fun.

I hear you.
I'm just not sure which system would actually suit me better. I usually ride with it empty. Other times, I put 4 adults + camping + climbing gear in the back + a hitch tray thats overloaded, & it's in 4lo on the way to the spot. Leaves sag.
I think a just-right air bag will have the travel needed but haven't looked enough to verify.
Timbrens are probably the easier / cheaper option but wouldn't give the warm and fuzzy of the "perfect" amount of load compensation.

After my last trip over several hundred miles of forest service roads with an xj loaded with gear to 5250 lbs I am considering airbags myself. I have seen the day star cups. I think that I would also be able to use them as bump stops. Then they could be adjustable for when it's loaded or unloaded.

Back