• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mercedes 3.0 diesel (6cyl) engine swap

Prom3theus

NAXJA Forum User
Mercedes 3.0 diesel (5cyl) engine swap

Hey guys,

I have a good opportunity to get a Mercedes 3.0 turbo diesel from a friend, and I thought it would be nice if I can replace my 4litter. I was wondering if you can help me finding more info about this swap. I could only find out info about the 5cyl Mercedes (but not enough) or 4bt or vw tdi.

Regarding shifting for aw4, I dont mind buying the kit and manually switch gears. I'm also aware that the 3.0 might be heavier and I may need different springs in front.

Do you folks know where the engine mounts and transmission adapters could be purchased from? Do I need anything else other than those (except wiring)? Any other hints/suggestions?

Btw, I have a 99 with 3 inch lift and 31s.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Re: Mercedes 3.0 diesel (5cyl) engine swap

Ill definitely do that on monday! Thanks a lot.

Meantime, if you guys have different suggestions please let them coming!

i found on the internet where someone had put one in a jeep, one of the big issues is that the oil pan sump is not in the correct place. so you need to have quite a bit of lift for the front axle to clear the oil pan

Guys, thanks for the info! Been very busy past weeks, haven't had much time to call about adapters bit I'll do it soon and post results.

Just got the Mercedes today for $1,000 (very cheap, at less than 160k) so first step is done, now I need to start researching and get started.

ju4aquhu.jpg

zy3eneza.jpg

It will be a long term commitment, engine runs smooth but needs at least one injector replaced. Plan on fixing everything before the swap. Also, egr on it had been disabled, which is also a great thing. Overall, engine seems in great shape.

Please keep ideas and suggestions coming.

I saw a similar swap being marketed on Expedition Portal - guys wanted 12-14K for the XJ with a new Merc diesel, freshened suspension & a clean body. With some extra refinement at that price point I'd call it worthwhile.
I'll be real excited to see what you wind up with!

Back