• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW Parts for Xj 8.25

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going to do the XJ conversion to disc rear brakes on a 2000 xj with an 8.25 rear end. I will be driving my jeep for the rest of my life, guaranteed and I am a safety guy so I figured I would go with all new parts.

My list to buy is as follows:
backing plate
caliper
caliper mount
axle seal
wheel studs
parking brake hardware kit
rotors
brake pads
and extended brake lines
.... am i missing anything?

Should i just go with a 2005 kj assembly? or should it be another year or even model?

Thanks you guys are awesome

Backing plates off the Libby 8.25" will bolt right on the XJ 8.25". ZJ plates need just a little grinding to go on.

You'll need backing plates, calipers, rotors, longer studs, My zj calipers connected to my XJ hard lines with no mods. I reused my XJ ebrake cables. I just drilled two little holes on the ebrake lever, and used a small ubolt to hold my XJ brake cables on.

As Talyn said, use some short softline from the calipers to the hardline. Basically the same as it is from whatever vehicle you are getting the parts from.
I have heard that D30 lug studs are decent length and work fine in the 8.25 shafts.

Buy the G2 kit and save yourself the trouble of trying to find all the parts yourself. I have it and it came with all quality parts like powerslot rotors and stoptech lines.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/jeep-disc-brake-conversion-p-49122.html

While your tearing all that apart, might as well get some new bearings and seals, plus some Yukon axle shafts. You have to pull the shafts anyway, plus the Yukons are only $100 a piece.

your advise is to turn a ~$200 junkyard upgrade into a ~$750 overhaul?

Use donor parts from a Liberty axle, and then you can get a set of shafts too. I found a complete axle for for $140.

FYI...

You do not have to change the backing plate mounting studs on your axle.

Redo the caliper connections with soft connections like Talyn advised. You can use lines from other jeeps or have your own made. And if you're going to modify the existing hard lines, it only takes a minute to remove the factory lines from the axle and work on the bench.

Keep your e-brake cables and modify ends like NCCherokee said.

And longer wheel studs are a must!

Good luck. It's an upgrade well worth the effort.

Do not connect the calipers directly to hard lines. That is poor advice. The calipers need to move.

I didn't and I didn't suggest that. The zj calipers that have soft lines attached, that connect to the hard lines. Are there even any calipers that don't have soft lines on them?

I didn't and I didn't suggest that.
My zj calipers connected to my XJ hard lines with no mods.
It sure reads like you connected the calipers directly to the hard lines. I don't see anything about soft lines. And the soft lines are not part of the caliper.
Are there even any calipers that don't have soft lines on them?
There are, but my concern was someone attaching a floating caliper directly to a hard line eliminating the floating aspect of the caliper. I have seen this done.

your advise is to turn a ~$200 junkyard upgrade into a ~$750 overhaul?

The OP says he's going with "all new parts", so it's gonna be way over $200. That being the case, I'd have to agree the G2 or Teraflex kit would probably save a lot of work rounding up parts.

I did this swap using junkyard ZJ rotors, calipers, pads, and caliper mounts; since I found them all in good shape. Everything else I got new from RockAuto, see my parts list below. I used all ZJ parts including the wheel studs & brake hoses. I did get some longer grade 8 bolts to mount the caliper brackets to the axle housing. I can't recall with absolute certainty if they were necessary, but IIRC I believe the original ones would have been too short. Hardware is cheap though so why not replace it?

You may want to consider getting your caliper brackets used, dealer may have new ones, but I'll bet they aren't cheap. Don't forget parking brake shoes if you intend to use the parking brake (part # below). It's a good idea to install new wheel bearings and wheel seals at the same time, and of course don't forget gear oil and RTV for the diff cover.

Anyway, it's a very simple swap and well worth it. The brakes work great, and I'm glad I won't have to mess with drums again. I hate drum brakes...

Parts list (minus rotors, calipers, pads, and caliper mounts):

Application: 1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.2L V8

CARLSON H7002 Parking Brake Hardware Kit (1)
DORMAN H380225 Hydraulic Hose (1)
DORMAN 610234 (610-234) Lug Stud (10)
DORMAN H380226 Hydraulic Hose (1)
MONROE BX701 Parking Brake Shoe (1)

Application: 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0L L6

TIMKEN 6408 Wheel Bearing (2)
TIMKEN 8835S Wheel Seal (2)

Last edited:
Back