• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker questions

drumfreak77

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running my daily driver/weekend wheeler '97 XJ on local trails now for over 2 years with 5" of lift and 33's and am looking to move on to bigger and more challenging trails. I currently have a set of axles I'm working on in my garage (dana 30 and 44 rear) and want to install lockers before they get installed into my XJ.

I have been leaning towards the middle of the road $ wise with a full case auto locker like a Grizzly or Detroit but I don’t have much knowledge about lockers and want to know what would be best choice and why.

What lockers do you have, how do they perform, what lockers did you run and why did you get rid of them?

whatever is in your budget. I like grizzly/detroit. Naxja vendor on here rwkhaus can set you up with grizzlys front and rear. you will love it.

I'm running a aussie in the rear basically the same set up as you 5" lift 33s its my dd. I got it second hand so price was my reason. I like it. I'm sure you've read about the quirks of auto lockers like uneven pavement and mountain driving (lots of tight turns back to back). Bit neither of which bother me enough to get rid or it.

I currently have an Aussie locker in the front and an OX locker in the rear of my trail rig. I have no issues with the Aussie in the front on dry pavement or elsewhere, dont even notice it. But when you want it it works great, its amazing what just having the front locked can do for a Cherokee, most times I dont even need to lock the rear.

If you drive a manual, get a selectable locker in the rear. If its an auto tranny, get a Detroit or similar in the rear. Do whatever you want in the front.

I am also looking for lockers for my daily. What is you have an auto locker in the front and need to drive in the snow on the streets? May be fine for on the trail and 2wd on the streets but how do they do if you need 4wd on the streets?

I can only speak for ARB, but selectables are the most transparent on the street with no real drawbacks except cost and complexity. Full case lockers like ARB or Detroit are stronger than the stock carrier with a lunchbox locker.
I ran Lock Rights, and they always worked but had quirks. With a manual trans, they unlocked/locked when I shifted. Steering through tight trails meant three point turns. With selectables, most of the time they're off except for the obstacle at hand. Neither gave me problems, but you pay for the differences.

I love my front Aussie. Probably my favorite mod to my jeep period.
I have a grizzly waiting to go in the rear, can't wait to see how that does.

I have a buddy with a 5speed xj and an aussie in the rear. It is noisy and a little clunky, but that is a small price to pay to get the extra traction.

We have had Ecteds in for about 6 years. My XJ is an around town school runner for my kids. We are running 33's with 5:56 gears. Street manners are good and trail performance has been awesome.

We like to wheel the rocky stuff, but tend to go easy on the skinny pedal (trail crawling) it's made it through more than I ever imagined or planned to (thanks to some So Cal Naxja runs)

I read alto of bashing on the ecteds around here, but if they suit your needs (like ours) they have been a good fit for is.

I am a huge fan of fully selectable lockers. I like what I have heard about the Ecteds, but I have factory E-lockers from a JK. Super convenient to run them open until the trails get tough and then hit a button when you need to dig in and go.

I DD mine with a Detroit in the 8.25" rear and an Eaton E-Locker D30 up front. Drives great on the street and very capable off-road. I like the front selectable so I can run open until I need it, then it's just a push of a button.

ive been driving auto lockers in my 5speed forever, no issues, you just have to learn how to handle it on the street and its second nature.....spartan and aussie. Everyone will tell you over and over if you have money selectable is the best, if your poor like me & like to wheel go auto locker......

I went with a Detroit in the rear and a true trac in the front (yeah, I don't expect the front to 'lock' ... it's not a locker it's an LSD).
Mainly as I got a set of used axles for $500 geared and set up already. So far I'm pretty happy with it all. Took a little getting used to the extra lash in the detroit, but that is normal. Otherwise I don't notice them ... we'll see how winter is though ... but I have the MJ for DD duty now.

Back