• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 4.0L engine

wiretie

NAXJA Member # 1664
I have a buddy who has one of his many (7) XJs for sale. It's a 99 with 130,000 miles. He's asking 1500 which I thought was reasonable. Can't afford to swing the $1500 right now. He's willing to part it out and give me first dibs. My question is this: What's a FAIR offer for a 4.0L motor that runs and sounds good? I know he has a number in mind, but, all he would say was "Make me an offer!" Not looking to low ball him and be laughed, but, also can't afford to buy the whole Jeep outright either. Thanks NAXJA

$1500.....
My first question would be "Whats Wrong with It?
If it is in good condition; you should ask if he will take payments.
A '99 XJ with 130K for that price is unheard of here in SoCal.

Since you ONLY want the engine; offer him $450 and see if he bites.

$1500.....
My first question would be "Whats Wrong with It?
If it is in good condition; you should ask if he will take payments.
A '99 XJ with 130K for that price is unheard of here in SoCal.

Since you ONLY want the engine; offer him $450 and see if he bites.

Nothing really wrong with it other than the body having a few little dents and dings. I got the feeling he didn't want to get into me making payments and would prefer an outright sale. But then again he was willing to part it out. I guess it never hurts to ask. Otherwise, $450 it is. Thanks for the quick reply.

It really depends on the area, check your local pull a part price lists for comparison. People think 4.0s are made of gold but I have never spent more than $160 buying a complete one up here in Mass. I bought a 99 4.0/AW4/NP231 combo in central NJ sometime in early 2010 for $250 out of a t-boned XJ being parted out.

Back