• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Seats

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
My wife hates the seats in my '89 XJ Waggy Ltd. Even though they're leather, the passenger seat does not have any/adjustable lower back support, and she complains about the seats on long rides.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for replacements? I'd be looking for seats that could use the power functions of my current factory seats...something that's mostly a bold-in replacement. Would like head rests and recline adjustments too.

Thanks in advance...just don't want to spend $500 only to find they're uncomfortable too!

Well, grab some ZJ seats with the features you want and bolt them up to your existing pedestals.

I was under the impression that the ZJ seats were only a direct swap for the 95+ crowd. Aren't the earlier XJ bases different from the later years?

yea....the year thing is important to me too. My XJ Waggy is an '89, so if the ZJ swap is only easy for 95+, I'm back to looking into aftermarket (read $$)

yea....the year thing is important to me too. My XJ Waggy is an '89, so if the ZJ swap is only easy for 95+, I'm back to looking into aftermarket (read $$)

Well, grab some ZJ seats with the features you want and bolt them up to your existing pedestals.

No problema.

Yeah I was gonna say I'm in the middle of this right now. I found some seats from a sport cherokee in the JY that were buckety and sweet...but now I have them and they are very different underneath. I have a 96 and I suspect these seats are from a much earlier XJ. I can tell by looking that I'm gonna have to fab something up to make them work or put new holes in the floor of the 96. It is not as simple as switching the seat brackets in this case, because the seats don't even connect to the seat brackets remotely close.

The driver seat on my mom's 2004 WJ Overland has much better support. Even than the passenger seat on the same vehicle and even over her 2000 WJ Limited. That might be an option looking into. I don't know if it being an over land makes a difference. If you are thinking about ZJ seats for more support don't go there. They are larger and provide less support. They may be comfier especially the pillow style which helps on long drives.

Also, there is this http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSeatRepadding.htm

I did that to my XJ seats on the side bolsters and its a world if difference. I tried it on the center as well, but it caused me to sit too high.

Back