• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size ... street driven MJ

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I keep seeing that I need a 3" lift to fit 33"s without rubbing and yada yada ...due to suspension travel and whatnot. All understood and fine with me.

Now my question is, what can I consider driveable with a purely street driven truck? The odd FSR sure but it's not a wheeler. Can I fit a 32" tire without concern? i plan to use WJ lowers and add a simple 1" spacer to the front with new XJ springs and a set of GM 2" drop shackles to raise the rear an inch.

I want to be able to use stock JK tires/wheels since they are cheap and reaily available almost new. They are 32" tall stock.
Planning to trim the front flare and fender to the bottom of the headlight trim and replacve the front bumper with simple bumper with tow mounts (plan to haul it behind the motorhome when I camp an ain't wheelin).
Not planning to touch the rear.
given all that ... should I be able to fit a set of 32" JK tires (with Spidertrax spacer/adapters to bring the 6.25" backspace out to 5" backspace) and be fine? Stuffing a tire is not a concern, articulation is the last thing on my mind for this truck. Lowering it is not an option, I'm not a slam it kinda guy ... I already find it too low on it worn out front springs (front axle is shifted to passenger side 1" with stock suspension).

Any advice.

There will be 4wd conversion in it's future but that is just for winter driving safety concerns (so likely 242 and ZJ front axle)

On a street truck it should be fine. With my 31s and 3" lift I would only rub the front fenders on really flexed out off roading. Now with 33s the rear is still fine but the front I had to cut and relocate the fender flares again for flexed out situations. I estimate you won't rub or it will be minimal

Good news, thanks, figured as much as I really only rubbed on my XJ at the front fenders once lifted but that was with a lot of axle movement and wheeling in mind. I was hoping the rear would fit as I can deal with the front regardless.

I would go with some extended bumpstops to help keep the tires out of the fenders. You could probably toss a puck in the front.

That was the plan ... pucks in the front and some form of extension for the rear.

i did a full trim on a bone stock XJ and ran 31's no rub. after doing zj v8 coils and an AAL to net me 1.5ish inches of lift i could have run 32s no problem

EDIT: these are v8zj coils and a #2 leaf out of an s10 pack replacing the #2 leaf in the xj pack. i would assume you can do some thing similar to the MJ pack to achieve a like lift

no lift and 31's

1.5" and 31's

Last edited:
No, it's 5 on 5 with 6.25" backspace.

I have the adapters, and a JK. was running jk wheels on my xj until I went to 35's

Do it! Just make sure to trim the front if you are going with minimal lift. The rear wheel opening is larger than a XJ and can take the size. The lower control arm will need to be swapped with a WJ style inward bent arm to keep from rubbing the tires.

This is 5.5" of lift, but I only went that high since doing a spring over axle swap gets it perfect at 5.5". If I brought it back down the pinch seam behind the front tires would rub.

med_gallery_1_12_628910.jpg

Back