• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 behind 5spd?

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to mount a 242 behind the BA10/5? This would be for the work truck (getting my but to work year round) so mainly street driven with winter driving.

I have no issue with the BA10/5 as they are cheap to aquire due to their "quality" reputation. My issue is input gear and output gear length differences. I think the 242 uses a Long input gear? Or is it the short?

just an idea I had to convert the MJ to 4wd cheaply ... ZJ front and rear axles (LPd30, D35) and a 242 in the middle. Staying with small 235/75/15's so durability shouldn't be an issue for it's intended use. Only going to raise the whole thing maybe 2" over stock at most.

But, I don't think the 242 ever came behind a manual did it?

The Jeep factory never put a 242 behind a stick shift trans, but plenty of Jeep owners have.

Determine the input shaft length, speedometer output, and spline count you need, and swap one in.

Should do fine, ad long as it has matching spline count.

Back