• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

G2 Axle swap D30/D44

Cheapster

NAXJA Forum User
In converting 6 lug D44 Grand Wagoneer to Cherokee I realized that the front assembly required welding on cast metal. The G2 axles purchased for the front use the D30 knuckles, bearing and calliper assembly. How can I convert the 5 lug spindle and bearing to 6 lug to fit D30/G2? Seems that I should be able to buy a new 6 lug unit bearing that fits!

So you want to run a waggy rear 44 and a G2 D44 front thats designed to bolt in place of a D30?

No such thing as a waggy/ D30 Hub, spacer adapters is the "easist" thing to do.

What are you trying to weld?

Is the G2 axle bought? Would have been better to swap a Waggy 44 front instead of a G2 axle, probably chaper if not the same price...

Or if the G2 axle is set in stone I would skip the waggy 44 rear and find a XJ44 or 29 Spline 8.25 and build that to easily match the front width and bolt pattern.

Last edited:
The G2 uses all the D30 knuckle. I am struck with 6 lug Waggy on back and D30 on front. This fouls my trail ability. I would rather have 6 lug. I can convert rear waggy 44 to 5 but I already installed aftermarket disk kit (6 lug). Im stuck in the middle and didnt realize the difficulty in conversion. Yes the G2 is new and fit nicely in the 94 cherokee. I cant find (yet) adapters from 5 to 6 lug. Not advanced adapters or spyertrax. wheel adapters would be the easiest way to go and would widen my front stance to better match my 3" wider waggy rear.

Reid Racing Knuckles Thanks! Partsmike.com (kevin) is helping with conversion knuckles that look and cost the same. Thank you all. Kevin is putting similar together using the rest of the donor wagoneer stuff I have. NO 5 to 6 lug wheel spacer is available to my knowledge so far. This has been a harsh learning curve. I prefer tire speed to crawling. That's why I break stuff.

Last edited:
then why did you do a D30 in the front?

Ya why build such a built 30 only to make the R&P the weak point, and spend all the coin on REID knuckles, only to find out sooner than later that your R&P are now the weak point ? Ask me how I know....

That makes way more sense. I just re-read that . Well. In that case, sweet 44 build.

Why re use d30 outers? Stronger than 44 stuff? I really hate d30 brakes...

wj brakes are decent.

but i like my 70s t bird calipers on my 44, it stops very very well with the 36s.

Back