• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch master cylinder went out. External slave. Replace whole assembly?

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1996 Cherokee Sport
AX-15 external slave
150,000 miles

My clutch master cylinder went out. My chiltons manual says that the master cylinder, lines, an slave cylinder are all one sealed unit and must be serviced as a whole unit. Is this true?

Can I just replace the master cylinder or do I really need to replace the whole shenanagin? How do I bleed the system if I just replace the master?

Kevin, the master, slave, and line are sold as a whole, pre-bled assembly. When I converted from an internal salve AX-15 to an external slave version, I ordered the whole assembly to make it easier to install. I don't remember being able to locate either the master or slave separately, but I think RockAuto has the master for around $50. The bonus of having the assembly was not having to bleed the system, so it's something you might want to consider.

Replace the entire assembly. It's not that difficult to route the slave cylinder and attached plumbing through the engine compartment. You don't have to worry if you've replaced the right component. No bleeding as mentioned before.

David Bricker / SYR

You can get the individual parts in the aftermarket. I think Centrix makes them, and they seem to work OK. But the sealed unit will save some headaches, especially with bleeding.

If your Cherokee is a 96, make sure that the arm on the clutch pedal, which operates the MC, is not bent or coming un-welded. It will eat master cylinders if it is.

I'm at the wrong computer now, but if you hunt deeply enough here you might come across a picture I have posted from time to time showing a 95 pedal assembly that is not bent. Yours should look like that one.

Back