• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj 5 speed

Cchsv56

NAXJA Forum User
Havin a hard time shifting into first and second. The rest arnt as hard but still not smooth. And when it goes in and out it pops. More goin into gear than out. Iv been told new clutch, new master and slave. Someone told me bent fork. Is there someway to narrow it down. Its been sittin for a month now and i cant afford to let it sit anymore. Only 122xxx miles.

I have owned a '98 5 speed since new in '97 and replaced the throw out bearing in early '09.
At the same time I replaced the clutch (clutch was still in good condition, but I had it all apart), pressure plate and the idler bearing pressed into the back of the crankshaft. The throw out bearing was squealing REALLY badly due to being dry; it sounded like it had gravel in it when it spun.
In that time before replacing the throw out bearing I didn't have much trouble shifting into gear.
What gearlube do you use in the transmission?
My transmission was a little rough at shifting and I tried a couple different gear lubes; Redline is what I used for a long time, but changed over about 6 years ago to what was recommended on the forum.
I am now using GM Synchromesh and it shifts quite nicely.
Another thing to check would be the fluid level in the clutch slave cylinder reservoir. I found mine a little low with no signs of leakage anywhere; the '94 and newer XJs have the external slave cylinders.

Last edited:
I would recommend changing the gear lube, Pennzoil Syncromesh would be an option.

Have you tried pumping the clutch pedal to see if it would shift better?

Back