• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ running rough

Tylerzap

NAXJA Forum User
Already searched. Didnt find a good answer. Been on other forums for a while. New to NAXJA.

I have a
98 XJ
AW4
NP242
D30
D35
Upcountry/Police/Tow packages

Was driving, overheated and blew radiator. The radiator and head were previously filled with brown gunk but i had flushed it and put a new t-stat in.

Put water in it and kept going since I was within a half mile of my destination. Temp returned to normal.

Oil pressure dropped. Checked the oil and it was low. Had my sister drive a hour and bring me some and stop leak

She put in the oil (my mistake) and overfilled it some. Got the radiator stopped up. Put more water in.

Started driving home. Was acting fine. Good oil pressure, and temp was fine.

Going up a small hill on the highway with my sister behind me, it started knocking bad and lost power.

Immidiately pulled into a gas station and parked it. Towed it the rest of the way home the next day. (Which I should of done in the first place)

Drained the excess oil out and now the knocking Is completely gone and it runs decent but idles a little rough. Not as smooth as it used to.

Now, I recognise my mistakes but I love my Jeep and want to know why is it running rough? What can I do to fix it? or would I be better off just driving it and rebuild it later?

My father (who's been working on cars and rebuilding engines for all his life) said that it should be fine.

Going to get all the stop leak out, flush the whole system and put a new radiator in it soon.

Sorry for my stupidity. Would be nice to know what the XJ community thinks I should do.

Back