• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I just install the wrong water pump?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced the wp because old one was rattling and wiggly.

Refilled rad

Drove around the block, temps in the red zone - no prior overheat issue.

Let it cool down.

Started it up with the cap off, water is shooting out the rad hole.

Is this a sign that I have the wrong wp?

Just wanted to know before taking it all apart again or looking to other explanations.

Start with the YEAR, ENGINE, ETC.

I have also heard that water shooting from the open rad when cold can be caused by a bad head gasket, but I didn't have the problem before changing the pump and it was holding water fine. Could it just be air in the system that would cause this problem?

Park the vehicle facing uphill and angled so that the radiator cap is the highest point in relation to the rest of the engine.

If you fill the radiator all the way to the neck it will spew coolant as air is purged. Leave a couple of inches open between the neck and the coolant level. Start the engine and let it slowly warm up while you observe the coolant level. As the level drops add coolant until the thermostat is fully opened. Then cap the radiator and fill the recovery bottle to the "HOT" level and should be good to go.

also to add what Mr Peters outlined;

Turn on the heater blower to med speed on warm setting. This will ease the t-stat opening so it doesn't spew a whole bunch of coolant out when it starts opening.

Mea Culpa - didn't check all the little things.

As usual the answer was the simplest possibility.

Sticky heater control valve after draining the system and lots of trapped air.

Gave it a couple of wiggles and all is good, it opens and closes now without a problem.

Running nice and cool - everything A-OK.

Thanks guys.

You can always remove/bypass the valve if you have issues or just choose to do so

Back