• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install ZJ Fuel Tank Skid Plate On a XJ!

Monster3663

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up A ZJ skid plate at U-Pull-it for $17.50 they classified it as a large bracket hahaha. I had to change the skid plate because I put the fuel tank from a 1998 on my 1990 and the old skid plate was too small. I did a dry fit and found out that it goes under the tow hitch and not above like my old one and that it needed a few more holes. I clamped it together with my tow hitch to used the hitch as a template to drill the holes I needed and wallow out the others that were offset.

I also had to notch the rear of the skid plate out to fit with my type hitch.

The ZJ has an opening on the left side toward the tail pipe. I used the heat shield off the 98 which fit fine after I cut a small piece off. I used just the right back bolt of the hitch and the the tab it has for the gas tank hanger. Loosened the bolts then slid it in behind the skid plate. I tightened it all up and the used the old rattle can to clean it up.

Thats how mine sets when i lift just high enough to work on my tank and skid.I have my stands on my rock rails. Even his shocks look extended to me, i could be wrong. Sorry

all four on the ground?

The front end is a few inches higher than normal now the engine trans and tcase are out of it. But normally they are straight up and down. I searched after you pointed that out and now I know. I went with the relocation brackets to even my XJ out the back end was lower than the front. Thanks for pointing it out I will make some adjustments tomorrow when I put the engine back in. Does that affect pinion angles?

The front end is a few inches higher than normal now the engine trans and tcase are out of it. But normally they are straight up and down. I searched after you pointed that out and now I know. I went with the relocation brackets to even my XJ out the back end was lower than the front. Thanks for pointing it out I will make some adjustments tomorrow when I put the engine back in. Does that affect pinion angles?

mine did, yes.

if putting the shackle at a better angle takes away from your ride height a little in the rear, it looks like you can go longer on the shackle. youll like the ride with better angles.

I just installed a ZJ skid last week and had to pull the plasma out to make everything fit. Now the exhaust is jammed up against the skid. Anybody have this issue and what was the resolution?

I just installed a ZJ skid last week and had to pull the plasma out to make everything fit. Now the exhaust is jammed up against the skid. Anybody have this issue and what was the resolution?

I had no issues with the exhaust. My my tailpipe is straight and most stock XJs have a slight bend outward near the shackle. That may be the reason why.

I have a zj skid and hidden hitch and my exhaust would clank and rattle on every corner. The tailpipe didn't have enough room between my OME leafs and hitch and skid that the clamp broke so I just cut my tail pipe off after the muffler.

I have a zj skid and hidden hitch and my exhaust would clank and rattle on every corner. The tailpipe didn't have enough room between my OME leafs and hitch and skid that the clamp broke so I just cut my tail pipe off after the muffler.

The Shain Gandee exhaust mod doesn't work for me. Maybe you should reconsider your setup before recommending it to others.

I'm not recommending it but its a temporary solution until I get the time to hook up my new exhaust and make new hangers.

I didn't realize that running with no tailpipe was a no no. Most rigs I see don't run them and just have a turn down after the muffler

Turn downs seem like a great idea. My rig got the nickname pigpen because of how much dust it kicks up. Just idling through the woods at this years Sierra fest it was hard to breath. Hacked the turndown of with a hacksaw at camp. A little better but it still needs work. I'll be finding a way to route it out the back.

Back