• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you shift an aw4 while its locked?

diesel-xj

NAXJA Forum User
If you are using an AW4 in manual mode with no computer and a manual lockup switch. Can you shift the trans with the lockup engaged? I won't be home for some weeks to try it in practice. and I am not sure I would try it anyway without some discussion

thanks

You CAN, I do not recommend it. In the times I have forgotten to unlock the TC, when I floored it it it made a clunk sound when it shifted.

thanks for the reply. I am planning my next conversion. and I want to use a small 4cyl Kubota v2203. There are several running conversions using this engine. but all have manual trans. The rated HP on this engine is very low, and the conversion forum consensus is that the v2203 probably does not have enough power to work well with an auto trans, so I was wondering if I could just leave it locked up all the time.
I only have one nv3550 jeep, and it is Too nice and runs too well to do a swap on, just now. Heck it is so nice I don't even use it as a daily driver. I am just storing it until I need it.
But I have 3 aw4 jeeps, and the most available one for a conversion just blew the trans. So I can either rebuild the AW4 with the Kubota or put in a AX5 that I already have with the Kubota. I just did not want to have to change the pedals. I really hate working under the dash.

Back