• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very strange species of blower fan issue.

Dark93

NAXJA Forum User
2001 sport.
Blower fan quit today, switch worked on high only since purchased a year ago. figured classic switch meltdown. Not so simple. Different set up for 2001. No power to switch for fanspeed. No power to resistor (second classic scenario, looks to be in good shape) I can hear compressor cycling, strange thing is that the cooling fan on the radiator does not kick on while a/c obviously cycling. Relays are good, fuses are good. What is going on here? I own a 93 as well and have been to blower motor school, but this time I do not have a clue and older posts do not seem to apply.

I will curse 100 Land Rovers for the answer.

Two things....first, if i recall correctly-on a 2001, the e-fan does not kick on automatically with the ac. it turns on solely by coolant temperature.
second, the blower resistor is "after" the blower switch in terms of power. no power at the switch=no power at the resistor. high only usually means a bad blower resistor...though it sounds like you have something else going on there.
double check all fuses and relays, and try running 12 volts straight to the blower motor just to see what happens.

Will try straight to blower. E-fan has normally kicked on with A/C, I'm pretty sure. While taking out the relay under the hood, with key on and a/c on, the e-fan twitches. as I touch the relay in and out, wierd. Thank you for quick reply. Will get to blower in the morning, been at this head scratching for about 8 hrs now.

2000-01 the e-fan only runs when temperature exceeds 215/218*, A/C on or off.

As suggested, check the switch, wires, relay, and resistor for signs of damage, failure or meltdown.

i don't know if the late model XJs have the same issues but the 99 and later WJs had a big problem with the blower motor resistors burning up. I would start there.

this is what the blower resistor looks like, should be mounted to the HVAC box somewhere (on the WJs it's below the glove box)

2yzmpe8.jpg

Standard Motor Products part number RU353.

BMR failure is common, and sometime can lead to melted wires, relay sockets, or dashboard control switches. A complete inspection is easy.

Ok, power straight to blower, nothing. Still strange that I have no power to switch or resistor. Changing blower, hope that fixes problem, will post.

Will try straight to blower. E-fan has normally kicked on with A/C, I'm pretty sure. While taking out the relay under the hood, with key on and a/c on, the e-fan twitches. as I touch the relay in and out, wierd. Thank you for quick reply. Will get to blower in the morning, been at this head scratching for about 8 hrs now.

It seems like you and I are on similar boats. My 96 is having similar issues with the cooling fan not coming on with the ac as well as the clutch on the ac compressor not engaging, and twitching when reinserting the relays and fuses. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what your solution was and I will post up if I find a solution.

New blower in, works fine, resisistor shows no physical damage but must be out to run on high only. I cannot explain the loop to switch and resistor being dead due to blower death. Relay replacement and resistor next.

By the way, no evap canister removal necessary, just remove egr blob and finesse motor out paying attention to evap plumbing.

Thanks for help, oh yeah......sing!
99 piles of Land Rover in the bog,
99 Rovers in the bog,
they all go down, unless we help em around,
98 piles of Land Rover in the bog, 98..............

Back