• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for improving leaf spring travel

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for ideas on how to get more travel out of my leafs. I've done all the common mods.. Flatter leafs, shackle relocation brackets, longer shackle. It's not bad for a 3" lift, but I think I can get more. I have 10" travel shocks, but I think only droops about 5-6".

Stock angle (OME LD leafs, .75" lift shackle, Relo brackets)
OMEleafdriver_zps1fb2a38d.jpg

No shocks
leafdroop2_zps06c18838.jpg

leafdroop_zpsc5823033.jpg

jeepflexside_zps58e1b500.jpg

5-6" of down travel plus 3-4" of uptravel will max out a 10" shock... so I'm not seeing the problem?

Leaf springs only give so much travel, and it looks like you're taking full advantage of those leafs given the amount of lift you're running. Not sure what else you're looking for (or why you think you need more travel?)

well, i'm just wanting to get more travel, and curious if leafs have a certain point where they end.

I re-measured and have 2.5" uptravel, 6" down travel.

In run wagoneer rear leafs on my xj, they are 57" long and push the rear axle back about 2.5" when using the stock front mount. I made my own rear mount, but I think you may be able to use your relocators with a little moding. I run 14" travel Bilsteins through the floor and I use all 14" of travel, 6" up and 8" down.

Sanding, a fresh cost of epoxy paint, a can of dry graphite, and full length leaf liners helped me get a little extra out of my leafs

well, i'm just wanting to get more travel, and curious if leafs have a certain point where they end.
I re-measured and have 2.5" uptravel, 6" down travel.

2.5" of up-travel isn't much. I would be more interested in increasing it.
Are the shocks properly bump-stopped to prevent bottoming?

Back