• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub assembly

airman401

NAXJA Forum User
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to xj and jeeps in general.

My front passanger side wheel is ticking with each rotation. I was going to replace the bearing but saw that I can do a new hub assemble for around 32$ on rockauto.

Can some link me to the part I need please?

91 Cherokee Laredo
4x4
Dana front

Thank you in advance!

quick/free/easy diagnosis...

safely jack the front end off the ground.
make sure the rotor isnt in contact with the dust shield if you still have them
grab the tire at 3 and 9, shake it: if there is play, inspect your unit bearing and TREs
grab the tire at 6 and 12, shake it: if there is play, inspect your ball joints

is the "ticking" speed dependent? it could also be the Ujoint... mine clicked as it rotated.

Did you actually diagnose it?
Many things cause noise on rotation.
Bearings usually growl.

My experience also. Usually when I get a tick every full rotation with the tire on the ground, it is a stone stuck in the tire tread if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky it is a screw stuck in my tire.

The way I check the hubs when I'm suspicious is to jack up one side of the front differential, remove the tire, put two lug nuts on backwards to hold the disk solidly in place, pry the pads away from the disc (carefully so as not to damage them) and try to rock the disc back and forth. Rotate the disc (axle) a few times, you can often feel the growl rather than hear it, the bearings get raw. Push and pull on the disc a few times. If there is any play there you will feel it.

Usually any the time my hubs are ready for replacement they are pretty far gone, the slop and play isn't subtle.

I think I have a front hub going out now as a matter of fact, Or maybe it is a front axle U-joint. It is early and subtle, hard to tell sometimes. Though (I think) I have heard what sounds like my right front brake dragging slightly when I go around a corner, likely a hub (disc and tire) shifting. I do have a slight bit of wander in my steering, another sign of a bad hub.

I usually go with the Jeep numbers and cross reference to whatever retailer I'm buying from, it avoids confusion.

5300 7449, HUB and BEARING ASSEMBLY, Front Brake. Difficult to find in the Jeep parts catalogue, they are in with the brake parts. Only one listing for 91-92 I could find. Always a disclaimer with my parts number recommendations, I have old eyes and sometimes they lie to me, always double check.

or bad ujoint in the axle could cause that noise sensation.....

You are right about that. When the front axle U-joints get worn enough it usually gets worse when going around a corner and even worse going around a corner in 4X. And if they get real bad you can pick up a vibration, a lot like an out of balance tire.

As far as I can tell, my ticking is unrelated to cornering or driving style. It is not a grinding or a hum at all. I will check for rocks, nails or debris this afternoon if it stops raining.

I have never replaced a ujoint but I'm up for anything.

Thank you all for the help so far

Couple quick tips,

First off there are different combinations of rotors to match unit bearings. Although all the unit bearings will bolt up you can easily screw yourself into having to buy new rotors.

Spend the cash for decent unit bearings, they should cost more than $32. I always buy mine from here:

http://mibearings.com/

Grab the axle shafts and shake around to see if it is loose/worn out.
Is there slack/play in the hub?

Rock auto had timkens 2 days ago for $86. They sold out before I had a chance to order them. Ordered timkens from summit racing for 102 a piece With free shipping yesterday. Should be at my house on Monday.

The premium Carquest bearings are made by National, I believe. Good quality and warranty.

Back