• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ 99+ intake and power steering pump

Warlock1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ, 4.0 with a Durango steering box and I am upgrading the intake, power steering pump, and exhaust manifold and I have a couple of questions. I searched for a couple of hours on here and could not find what I was looking for.

I went to the pick and pull yesterday and picked up an intake and power steering pump from a 2001 WJ 4.0. (these intakes are very hard to come by here in Las Vegas! Grand Cherokees don't come into the junkyards very often) The 10th digit in the vin was a 1 so it should be a 2001. Anyway, the pump does not look anything like the ones in the threads here. It only has 1 high pressure line and only 1 return line. I suspect it is because it's from a 6 cyl and not a V8, is this the case? Did only the V8 versions get the hydraulic powered fans? If so, would this still be a higher flowing pump than my stock XJ pump? My Durango box does not like my stock XJ pump at low speeds.

Now for some reason the power steering pump to manifold bracket was missing at the JY. Now the way to adjust the belt on a 1991 XJ is with the power steering pump bracket. And I think the way to adjust it on the 2001 WJ is with an adjustable idler pulley on the missing pump to manifold bracket. Is this correct? And does anyone have and extra one of these bracket/idler pulley assemblies laying around that I could purchase? I guess I will have to get a different size belt.

Is there a thread on a pre 1996 to '99+ intake manifold/PSP upgrade thread somewhere? What all has to be done? (Like vacume lines, sensors, fuel rail, injectors and injector connectors, ect...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did only the V8 versions get the hydraulic powered fans? If so, would this still be a higher flowing pump than my stock XJ pump?
Correct, only the V8s got the hydraulic fan. The 4.0L doesn't have a higher flowing pump that I know of.

Correct, only the V8s got the hydraulic fan. The 4.0L doesn't have a higher flowing pump that I know of.
Thanks Talyn. Yea, that's kinda what I feared. Although, it does seem to have a larger reservoir. It's more square like the V8 one, just no extra return fitting.

I guess I have to re-route the belt when I get that other bracket and adjustable idler pulley somehow. Now I gotta find a V8 pump.

You will have to slightly re route some of your vac lines but nothing major. It has been a while since I did the same thing on my old rig so I dont remember exactly which lines had to be re done. Just find the best location for each line. The pump does bolt up in a 96+ style bracket and adjuster so even one off an xj will work. A belt for a 96+ xj will be needed and follow that routing.

You will have to slightly re route some of your vac lines but nothing major. It has been a while since I did the same thing on my old rig so I dont remember exactly which lines had to be re done. Just find the best location for each line. The pump does bolt up in a 96+ style bracket and adjuster so even one off an xj will work. A belt for a 96+ xj will be needed and follow that routing.

Thanks Stewie. That's good info about the 96+ bracket and belt. Now the question is is the 96+ bracket a direct bolt in for the 99+ intake?

Which now brings up yet another question after looking at the 99+ intake, fuel rail and injectors. My '91 has the vacuum actuated pressure regulator built into the fuel rail and I think the 99+ setup is for an in the tank regulator, right? So I guess I have a couple of options which are:

1-Figure out a way to regulate the fuel pressure further back near the tank. No big deal, I can find a bypass regulator at Jegs.

2-See if my 1991 rail will bolt onto the 99+ intake and injectors. Haven't tried it yet but I doubt it will work. I'm not sure the spacing for the injectors is even the same or the mounting locations.

So I guess i can use my original injectors right? I would imagine the 99+ injectors have a different connector if I remember correctly.

A note on the '91 fuel rail/bypass regulator set up. I never did like this setup because the fuel goes from the tank to the fuel rail then whatever is not needed is bypassed and sent back to the tank. Trouble with this is whatever heat is picked up from the engine compartment is then sent back into the tank which heats up the fuel in the tank then is sent back to the rail, heated up even more, etc... a vicious cycle. Oops, sorry about the rambling on.

On my old 95 (RIP) I moved my old fuel rail and injectors over to the new manifold. Be sure to use new O rings and lube them with motor oil. That will allow you to run your old fuel pressure regulator as well. The spacing was still correct for my 95. The 99 injectors are indeed a different electrical connector. The 96+ ps bracket will work bolt up to the WJ manifold (that's what mine was off of) and will allow you to run that ps pump or one off a V8 WJ (I run a V8 WJ pump on my 96 but haven't swapped the manifold over from my 95 yet). I believe you will have to remove the idler pulley over by the AC compressor to get the belt routing to match the 96+ and run a 96+ belt (ask for a 97 XJ belt to be sure as some parts catalogs list some parts for the 96 as the pre 96 parts- I own two of them and I'm running into that problem a lot).

Yea, my buddy has a 96 and also runs into that same problem. Thank you for that great info. And I thought that the rail wouldn't fit. Haha. I thought because the design and shape of the manifolds were so radically different that it wouldn't fit. I appreciate the great info.

Back