• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Shifting problems

xcalibur223

NAC VP
NAXJA Member
I have a 96xj with an NP231 with Tera 4:1 kit and AA sye. Recently had problem shifting it into neutral and 4lo. Took everything apart and had a worn fork so replaced that and put everything back together. Still had the same problems except now I could get it into neutral and 4 low with a ton of pressure on the shifter and had the same problem getting back into 2hi.

Took it apart again today to see if I messed up. Got the back half of the case back on and it shifts fine. Put the oil pump on and it shifts fine. Now it gets hard to shift when the tailcone is put on. Do you think it's possible that the metal shift rod is slightly bent (the one with the range? fork on it) or any other suggestions would help.

There's a vendor that sells an adapter to elimininate (or mitigate) the shift problems with the TC. I can't find the link but was something with engineering or similar (sorry by the poor help).

There's a vendor that sells an adapter to elimininate (or mitigate) the shift problems with the TC. I can't find the link but was something with engineering or similar (sorry by the poor help).

If you're talking about something that replaces the factory linkage from the shifter in cab to the actual t-case, that's not my problem. I believe my problem is in the case somewhere. I have a spare mode fork that I will swap out with the one currently in there as soon as I get a new back half case as I cracked the current one torquing everything down.

If you're talking about something that replaces the factory linkage from the shifter in cab to the actual t-case, that's not my problem. I believe my problem is in the case somewhere. I have a spare mode fork that I will swap out with the one currently in there as soon as I get a new back half case as I cracked the current one torquing everything down.

Give Tera tech a call--they should be happy to help.

Back