• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-bolts

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I broke my leaf spring centering pins this weekend on the rubicon, apparently my ubolts stretched and the centering pins snapped like toothpicks. I dont want this to happen again, these were pretty cheap ubolts from pep boys but i am wondering if i should upgrade from 1/2 to 5/8, also is it worth it to upgrade to 3/8 centering pins? or should i just buy higher quality half inch ubolts and call it good. if so what brand have you had luck with.

thanks in advance.

nick

We have a company here in Arizona called Spectrac. They make ubolts for you. You can tell them the size, how long you want the threaded portion, etc... Lots of us run their ubolts wit no problems. If you can't find good stuff send me a message on Facebook and I can get you more info.

Facebook: BulletProof-Offroad

Have a good one, Andrew

Ruffstuff for ubolts, center pins use 3/8 or 7/16 crade 8 socket cap screws

Whatever size center pin you decide to use; when replacing U bolts it is always advisable to torque the U bolts. Recheck the torque several times over the next month or so. You would be surprised how much the new ones stretch.

Also, consider polyperformance U-bolts. As far as center pin. When I had my bastard pack I just used an allen-head bolt.

For those of you that upgraded to 5/8" ruff stuff u-bolts, did you have to bore out the holes on the plates? What kind of bit did you use to do this?

Rotary burr on an air grinder... If your using stock shock mounts, those have to be opened up as well. Not that big of a deal.

Back