• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What next??

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so 2000 Jeep daily driver. I have some money saved up and want to add a few things. This jeep will continue to be my dd for 5 or 6 years and then I plan to take it into the offroad scene. It has the 8.25 rear end.

What I have done; 3in rustys lift, tinted windows, custom leather seats, stereo w sub, 31 inch tires, cold air intake, removed roof rack.

What should be my next addon? I have about 1k or so to spend. I was thinking the bushwacker fender flares, new shocks (shocks are from 2007, though I don't know if they need replacing... I drive like a grandma), an adjustable trac bar or new custom bumpers, or maybe a fiberglass cowl induction hood. Anything else I should be considering?

You guys are awesome.

what kind of wheeling do you plan to do? frequency of wheeling?
dont bother with the bushwackers.
if you do shocks , please do monotubes, and preferably ressy monotubes. Cost more but they will last....

HD trackbar with bracket is a great idea.

build some sliders
belly skid
front lockright

LandL fab has dirt cheap front winch bumpers.

I have no idea why you would do a hood like that. that sounds like a terrible idea.

Well I just went to an xj race this weekend and saw 2 xjs with awesome hoods. Like I said I won't be wheeling for several years and when I do it wont be super serious.

The guy at the local 4wd shop showed me his new hood and he loves it.

I don't see a reason for a hood like that unless you need it to clear the big V8 you're cramming in there. If you have heat issues you can run hood vents.

So you're just looking for street performance?

Heavy Duty trackbar. Something with a new bracket, the adjustables that use the stock brackets have an annoying tendency to break in half. Even with three inches of lift, it'll help with your alignment. Trackbar brace to go with it doesn't hurt.

Steering box brace, and/or the frame plates for around the steering box. Help delay that pesky frame crack a few years, and keep your steering stiffer.

Rear bumper tire carrier. So you can get yourself a full size spare and have more trunk space.

Great ideas. Any suggestions on the trac bar with a bracket? All i can find is adjustable trac bars that fit either stock or 4+ inches of lift.... i am sitting at 3 inches of lift.

As long as you do NOT have a drop pitman arm:

Here are a few adjustable Trackbar choices with new brackets for the 0-3+" lift height.

Clayton Offroad: Uses a Factory length frame bracket but in double-shear.
https://claytonoffroad.com/product_...d/310?osCsid=3d47443372e513dc85e807cd8d7d9ea4

TNT: uses a drop bracket which you don't want.

Rubicon Express: uses a drop bracket which you don't want.

There are MANY companies that have Trackbars that mount to the factory bracket, but you don't want those because the stock mounting......well......sucks! Go with a MUCH beefier setup now if you are planning to upgrade lift later. The Clayton part will work fine if you plan to go to up to 6" lift. A drop bracket can always be thrown on if you decide to put a Drop Pitman arm on later to keep angles in check.

On a side note: When I plan to lift my new rig, I will use the Clayton part linked above. Sets the frame side of the Trackbar in double shear while keeping the mounting point at factory location. Keeps the angles of steering and trackbar closer together.

Just my $0.02

Ok so since my last post I have added a new steering box spacer, JCR front bumper, bushwacker fender flares, and got some new cheap backspaced wheels to bring the tires out a bit with the flares... I know everyone hates on the flares but I love the way they look on my rig.

2000 Xj Classic, 150,000. 8.25 rear.

So my rig so far:
FPIK,
3 inch rustys lift... about 6 years old and I still like it, maybe I have bad taste LOL (full rear springs)
Tinted windows
Backspaced wheels (procomp)
RE adjustable trac bar
31' tires
Bushwackers
Custom upholstered seats,
Cutsom stereo
Flowmaster with turn down

So what should I be looking to do next? I am doing the SUPER SLOW offroad build, meaning that for the next 5 or 6 years this car will continue to be my DD.

My three thoughts right now are to either, get an SYE, new lower control arms, upgrade light harness, rip out all the carpet and raptor line the floor.. What do you guys think? When should I be replacing the LCAs or UCAs?

I plan on keeping the jeep for life, meaning that once my 0331 cracks I am dropping in a stroker.

Ok so since my last post I have added a new steering box spacer, JCR front bumper, bushwacker fender flares, and got some new cheap backspaced wheels to bring the tires out a bit with the flares... I know everyone hates on the flares but I love the way they look on my rig.

So my rig so far:
FPIK,
3 inch rustys lift... about 6 years old and I still like it, maybe I have bad taste LOL (full rear springs)
Tinted windows
RE adjustable trac bar
31' tires
Bushwackers
Cutsom stereo

So what should I be looking to do next? I am doing the SUPER SLOW offroad build, meaning that for the next 5 or 6 years this car will continue to be my DD.

My three thoughts right now are to either, get an SYE, new lower control arms, upgrade light harness, rip out all the carpet and raptor line the floor.. What do you guys think? When should I be replacing the LCAs or UCAs?

I plan on keeping the jeep for life, meaning that once my 0331 cracks I am dropping in a stroker.

I'd bet with 150,000 miles already on the truck, you are past the point of potential issues with your 0331 head - unless you simply don't maintain the Jeep from here on out.

Unless you are planning to do a lot of this for the aesthetical value, I'm not sure the value. If you are going to DD the Jeep, rhinolining the floor will only serve to allow extra heat into the cabin. An SYE won't really make that much difference for you at 3". Especially since you aren't going to get into any real articulated positions on the street. Better headlights, probably not a bad idea. I'd probably consider doing a frame stiffener now. Even though you are streeting it, it will still help the unitbody stay straight. At 3 inches you really shouldn't need a new UCA. I'm surprised that the lift didn't come with LCAs.

Didn't necessarily mean that. It was just an off the cuff remark.

Rubicon Express: uses a drop bracket which you don't want.
false.

i have one. it doesnt drop more than 5/8" below stock. it does however has a 2" mount. perfect for a heim (with misalignment spacer), which i used.

So my rig so far:
FPIK,
Tinted windows
RE adjustable trac bar
31' tires
Bushwackers
Cutsom stereo

My three thoughts right now are to either, get an SYE, new lower control arms, upgrade light harness, rip out all the carpet and raptor line the floor.. What do you guys think? When should I be replacing the LCAs or UCAs
i dont like the flares, especially with 31s. but if your happy.

what RE trackbar do you have? if its already double sheer, good job. if you have the 1600 bar, i recommend getting REs double sheer bracket as well. itll bolt right up. and just a bit of tech info... if your heim ever wears out, dont get another one from RE. ruffstuff heims are strait replacement.

personally, id keep the carpet. and id do mods that improve your ride quality. SYE is a good option if you think youll ever go bigger. whats your castor at? maybe look into adjustable uppers or lowers. look into a ZJ rear disk swap. quality pads and rotors up front. HIDs?

first... go through and do all needed maintenance. i know its not as fun as bolting on parts, but itll thank you in the long run.

Back