• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs WJ power steering pump.

in a 96, there are no bracket mods needed. 99-04 V8 grand cherokee. bolt in... besides the obvious mods you saw in the other thread.

01-04 is the only years that have the hydraulic fan run off the p/s pump.

But yes, XJLI is correct. The only modification I had to do was to the high pressure line, to actually make it work.

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you before now, I got married Sunday and things are still kinda crazy. If you have any more questions I'll try and help you answer some of them the best I can, but it may kinda take a little time to get back to you.

01-04 is the only years that have the hydraulic fan run off the p/s pump.

But yes, XJLI is correct. The only modification I had to do was to the high pressure line, to actually make it work.

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you before now, I got married Sunday and things are still kinda crazy. If you have any more questions I'll try and help you answer some of them the best I can, but it may kinda take a little time to get back to you.

Congrats and thanks!

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you before now, I got married Sunday and things are still kinda crazy.

Oh, I see how it is...... marital bliss is more important than your friends at NAXJA? What's this world coming to these days?:shhh:

congrats, and don't ever let something a silly as a disfunctional bunch of tards like us get between you and the lovely young bride!!

Well, I had already bought the XJ pump because I needed to get my rig running. NOTE: If ou have the original pulley with the holes in it KEEP IT. I made that mistake thinking I could just press a new pully with a vice. The new pully is a solid plate so you cant put the screws in through the holes. You have to mount the pump on the motor THEN press on the pulley, No I DID NOT THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE PRESSING THE PULLEY. So like a F-tard, I had to go rent the tool to remove the pulley and as luck would have it, my old unit was already gone.

Anyway, I jacked te front end off the ground then I fluhed and primed the hell out of the new pump and gear box with 4quarts of Valvoline ps fluid, installed a magnetic filter on the low pressure side, put in a bottle of Lucas power steering fluid with conditioner, a little bit of Lucas power steering stop leak to help with that tiny tiny leak at the pitman arm, and topped it off with Valvoline ps fluid. Seemed like a good oppurtunity to grease those little u joints from my steering wheel.

Everything seems to work better than before but it still whines a little but when I lock it all the way out in either direction when I'm not moving.

Feelings, questions, comments concerns???

Just asking here...

Does anyone know if the hole in the pump for the reservoir is the same size in both the XJ and WJ pumps? Would like to install the better pump but, have zero clearance for the WJ reservoir as the compressor is sort of in the way...

As it is, had to use the reservoir from a ZJ with the 5.2L.

Somewhere I read that to prevent cavitation you need to run the return line to the bottom 1/2" inlet on the pump, not the 3/8" connection on the reservoir. Sorry, but I can't remember where I read this.

Now my question: if any of you have done this, how did you go from the 3/8" return hose on the steering box to the 1/2" pump inlet?

Just asking here...

Does anyone know if the hole in the pump for the reservoir is the same size in both the XJ and WJ pumps? Would like to install the better pump but, have zero clearance for the WJ reservoir as the compressor is sort of in the way...

As it is, had to use the reservoir from a ZJ with the 5.2L.

No, it's different IIRC. I tried to use an xj reservoir and had problems. I even made a reducer bushing but it still leaked eventually.

I was afraid of that. Makes sense as the reservoir has to be able to flow faster. My issue is clearance. Or, actually, the lack of clearance. Stupid supercharger is right smack dab in the way.

Ah well...

How about tapping the reservoir hole and running a remote one? You're a machinist. get on it! :)
I'm guessing it can be drilled and tapped for either a -6 or -8 o-ring boss fitting.

You know...
I looked long and hard a couple of years ago on what it would take to go with a remote reservoir PS pump and came to the conclusion that there just was not a place (hello clearance...) for the reservoir itself that would guarantee the pump would be consistently fed. At issue here, as I understand it and I make no claim to being the World's Foremost Authority, is that the pumps are fed by gravity. They are not positive displacement in nature in other words.

I called several of the aftermarket pump manufacturers (KRC Power, etal) and that is what they told me. As I understand it, the number one killer of PS pumps is fluid starvation including cavitation. I suppose a fellow could install an electric pump near the steering gear. That way it would be deep enough in the bay to make the remote reservoir practical.

Now, I would love to be wrong so if there is information to the contrary, I would love to be able to read the source document.

That is where I ran into problems. Finding a location in the bay high enough to guarantee fluid flow at high angles of attack. With the pump mounted so high up in the bay, it makes things difficult.

Well, you already mentioned running a small pump from the gear box back to the reservoir. Why not? Unconventional, complex, etc - but if you want the WJ pump and can't find a good gravity-feed location for the res, what else can you do?
Still think we need more hydroboost on Naxja but that's a tangent...Hell, maybe I'll have to go and do it some day soon. I've got an MC that would work just sitting on a shelf after all...

Well, you already mentioned running a small pump from the gear box back to the reservoir. Why not? Unconventional, complex, etc - but if you want the WJ pump and can't find a good gravity-feed location for the res, what else can you do?
Still think we need more hydroboost on Naxja but that's a tangent...Hell, maybe I'll have to go and do it some day soon. I've got an MC that would work just sitting on a shelf after all...

What I was referring to is an electrically driven pump that replaces the mechanically driven one. Not some sort of additional, "let's complicate things for fun" type of deal.

Something along the lines of this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-92-93-94-MR2-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-KIT-CAR-HOT-ROD-LOTUS-ELISE-3SGTE-/121279956192

Back