• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with replacing driveline u-joint

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I could use some advice on replacing the u-joints in my rear driveline.

I swapped out the one on the pinion side already, but I'm having trouble with the one at the transfer case side. What seems to happen every damn time is that when I put in the caps for the new one, get the new u-joint inside the fork, as I try to (even very gently) tap in the cap, the little bearings get out of wack and at least one gets inside the top of the cap. So when I get the caps in there as far as they will go I realize that I have a gap now between the cap and the ujoint and so it won't seat as far in as it needs to go to get the clips back on. So, then I wack it out and I try it again. Did it 3x last night. Used a different ujoint each time because I was afraid that hammering on it to get it out would mess up the joint so I thought it would be a bad idea to get it in there.

Plus, I also notice that the top yoke there is a PITA to get swapped out. Its much tighter to get the caps in and out so you really have to hammer the crap out of it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Use a press or C-Clamp to get the caps started. Ideally a U-joint press should be used, but a large c-clamp (or a vise) should at least let you get the caps started without dislodging the needle bearings. Once you get the caps pressed in a little farther, you can switch back to a hammer.

Harbor freight sells a ball-joint/u-joint press kit that works quite well for u-joints, or the auto parts stores will rent them to you.

Try and stick the joint out as far as possible while you put the cap on. you should be able to partially slide the bearings onto the trunnion before you start hammering. Maybe apply a little extra grease inside the cap to hold the bearings. You can also use a large vise if you have one to press everything together.

I have a ball bearing tool I got from harbor freight, its the big C-clip thing people use to press out u-joints the cheap way. I don't have a big vise. I will try to use the c-clip vise tool I have to try to press the caps back in that way easily and try it again. Buying replacement u-joints to fix the screwed up ones I put in sucks!

i always use a combination of extra grease inside the caps, gentle taps and some pb blaster (on the outside of the caps) works every time.

I only remove the caps to pack them with grease. Otherwise, and/or if I use greaseable joints, I never open them. Install as is, fill them with gease, then there's no chance of rollers even moving around.

A press or vise is best, a clamp will do OK.

Re: Re: Help with replacing driveline u-joint

I only remove the caps to pack them with grease. Otherwise, and/or if I use greaseable joints, I never open them. Install as is, fill them with gease, then there's no chance of rollers even moving around.

A press or vise is best, a clamp will do OK.

How do you install a u-joint without ever removing the caps?

Rent a ball joint press. With an impact and a careful hand(easy to break the caps if not careful and you overdo it) it takes only a few minutes.

They took the caps off in that write-up.

Well, yeah. You kinda have to take them off to put the u joint in the yoke. I thought that kinda goes without saying?

I never said anything to the contrary? My post has nothing to do with the ones above it, or I would have quoted it.

I was just posting my preferred method of installing driveshaft ujoints without a shop press.

Back