• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking the doors off

Asnyder14

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have an '01 4 door XJ and I see all the wranglers driving around with no doors and I'm getting jealous so I want to take mine off. I know you can change the hinges but that's a lot of work. Do y'all think I'm getting I over my head and should just not do it or is it worth it? Pros and cons? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Seriously, unless you have a rollcage I wouldn't. The A pillar is notoriously weak. In a roll over, often as not, the only thing keeping the roof off of your head is the door tops helping to keep the roof from going completely flat. Even with the doors on, the top of the door tends to pop outwards and you loose a lot of roof support.

I know of at least four people who have gotten a face full of headliner in a slow speed roll over in an XJ. You often end up with a roof starting at the windshield wipers (or very near there) and sloping up to the B pillar.

They say they strengthened the A pillar in the later models, I wouldn't stake my life on it though. Roll overs don't always happen to the other guy.

Seriously, unless you have a rollcage I wouldn't. The A pillar is notoriously weak. In a roll over, often as not, the only thing keeping the roof off of your head is the door tops helping to keep the roof from going completely flat. Even with the doors on, the top of the door tends to pop outwards and you loose a lot of roof support.

I know of at least four people who have gotten a face full of headliner in a slow speed roll over in an XJ. You often end up with a roof starting at the windshield wipers (or very near there) and sloping up to the B pillar.

They say they strengthened the A pillar in the later models, I wouldn't stake my life on it though. Roll overs don't always happen to the other guy.

Seriously the doors don't do shit in a roll. The a pillars will collapse regardless. To the op do a search door removal has been covered 1000 times

It's easy to take the doors off and screw up the alignment so bad that they don't ever line up again.

It's also easy (although it requires a bit more work) to do it in such a way that the doors open and close better than factory and line up perfectly.

I rolled an XJ with the doors on. A-pillar collapsed and I'm not inclined to believe the door had anything to do with it either way. YMMV.

I have wheeled for years with lots of Cherokees and read most of the "Trail Lawyer" write ups, and even some by Jeep engineers. The doors are not an integral component to the roof. They can be removed. However, I would recommend some good sliders to aid in the integrity of the door frame to keep the doors aligned. Personally, my doors are off all spring and all fall and I wheel my XJ pretty hard.

I have wheeled for years with lots of Cherokees and read most of the "Trail Lawyer" write ups, and even some by Jeep engineers. The doors are not an integral component to the roof. They can be removed. However, I would recommend some good sliders to aid in the integrity of the door frame to keep the doors aligned. Personally, my doors are off all spring and all fall and I wheel my XJ pretty hard.

Next time somebody rolls one, notice how the top of the doors are usually bent outwards, the roof acts like kind of a wedge between the doors forcing the top of the doors out. Simple physics, the force to bend the door tops out, without the doors, is likely to be straight down. Not all of the problem, just another piece in the puzzle. I've done a significant amount of body work in my life. I was taught the best way to get the dents out is reconstruct in your mind how it was dented and reverse the process to remove the dents, you get pretty good after awhile in reconstructing in your mind how it was crushed and in what directions.

You believe what you want to, I didn't live to be this old by being foolish. I plan for the worse and hope for the best.

I watched my brother barrel roll one maybe 8-10 rolls down the side of a hill. The door popped after maybe the sixth roll, the seat belt stud pulled out of the floor, he was ejected downhill and the roof rolled right over him. The roof on the side with the opened door was significantly flatter than the passengers side. My wife low speed rolled one. The roof was pretty darned flat. But there was room for her head because of the B pillar. The top of both doors looked kind of like floppy dog ears, they were both bent outwards. the door latches were still latched. My Dad always told me to learn from other peoples mistakes, it is often the less painful way to learn.

The doors aren't likely an integral part of the roof support, but IMHO the roof (area) is likely to have less support and be weaker in a rollover without them, not to mention total body integrity..

Last edited:
Re: Re: Taking the doors off

Next time somebody rolls one, notice how the top of the doors are usually bent outwards, the roof acts like kind of a wedge between the doors forcing the top of the doors out. Simple physics, the force to bend the door tops out, without the doors, is likely to be straight down. Not all of the problem, just another piece in the puzzle. I've done a significant amount of body work in my life. I was taught the best way to get the dents out is reconstruct in your mind how it was dented and reverse the process to remove the dents, you get pretty good after awhile in reconstructing in your mind how it was crushed and in what directions.

You believe what you want to, I didn't live to be this old by being foolish. I plan for the worse and hope for the best.

I watched my brother barrel roll one maybe 8-10 rolls down the side of a hill. The door popped after maybe the sixth roll, the seat belt stud pulled out of the floor, he was ejected downhill and the roof rolled right over him. The roof on the side with the opened door was significantly flatter than the passengers side. My wife low speed rolled one. The roof was pretty darned flat. But there was room for her head because of the B pillar. The top of both doors looked kind of like floppy dog ears, they were both bent outwards. the door latches were still latched. My Dad always told me to learn from other peoples mistakes, it is often the less painful way to learn.

The doors aren't likely an integral part of the roof support, but IMHO the roof (area) is likely to have less support and be weaker in a rollover without them, not to mention total body integrity..

Cool story bro!

But doors or not in a barrel roll 8-10 times any uncaged xj will end the same, smashed. For 8 yrs I wheeled, rolled and abused my xj mostly without doors. Never any issues with them being part of the roof structure. Now the rocker panel is different and as stated above a good set of sliders helps a ton in being able to close them once they are put back on.

You won't kill your car or anyone else. And if you're really worried and have some fab skills and tools, make some half doors. I LOVE having half doors. I haven't put my full doors on since I made them a few months ago

You won't kill your car or anyone else. And if you're really worried and have some fab skills and tools, make some half doors. I LOVE having half doors. I haven't put my full doors on since I made them a few months ago

I would love to do that but I don't trust myself making those to look good.

I wanted to do half door but when I gutted the old ones they still weighed a ton and I remember how much I hade welding on sheetmetal.

So I made these, no latches yet. Those are going on in the next few weeks I hope.

DSCF3480__Custom__Snapseed2.jpg

I'm pretty sure doors are not going back on at all. Couple thing you have to keep in mind though, there is nothing to keep stuff inside anymore. So all the crap rolling around on the floor could end up outside. Same with getting stolen. And no mirrors can be a issue.

half doors can be made to be lightweight and cheap-- these are the rears, but the fronts are equally as light. Either of them can be lifted by an old fart like me with a couple fingers, and the upper window frame and side structure are retained for integrity.

here's an "almost complete" shot of the fronts and rears from a few years back:

P.S. they retain the factory latches and mirrors to remain legal in Virginia :)

Last Xj I took the doors off of resulted in my doors never aligning up right again, and sagging like a 70 year old biker chicks tits

Then you did something wrong. LoL...
I take my doors off all the time... and well... leave em off the whole summer. Never had alignment issues when I put em back on...

Re: Re: Taking the doors off

...You believe what you want to, I didn't live to be this old by being foolish. I plan for the worse and hope for the best...

To assume that you are older and imply that I am foolish, is merely ignorance. The majority of my brief life of 51 years, I have wheeled 6 different Jeeps and multiple other 4 x4's. While I don't dissect crashed vehicles for a living, I am comfortable with the research and information provided by other equally reputable professionals. I wheel very hard. My doors have been off for many years, and they will remain off. I too however, am not running the Baja, I simply enjoy rock crawling.

Back