• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery ground? Pls help

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
I ve been trying to take out grounding bolt from engine block but its so rusted it is getting difficult to maneuver around wires. I figure easiest way would be to cut off ground wire. Can I do that and how will I fix it when I put everything back together?

Without seeing the motor, I would suggest cleaning the area off with some break cleaner. After its good and clean, alternate morning and afternoon with PB Blaster and WD40. It worked for me for the one on top that is threaded into the block. It has a tiny 7/32 on the tip of a 5/16 bolt that.

mine is a '99. Can i just cut ground wire and extend the ground wire? I already broke one of the wires :) so is that a possibility? the bolt is almost out of it the wire just can't turn anymore.

If you think you can remove the bolt with the wire cut, then go for it and just crimp another ring terminal on. If the area is really as rusted as you say it is, I would make a point of getting that bolt out. You want all of your grounds to be to bare metal otherwise you will get all kinds of electrical gremlins. Wire and ring terminals are cheap.

To extend the wire you need a length of wire of similar or larger gauge, preferably black.

Solder or crimp the new wire onto the end of the original wire. If you crimp it, you need a proper crimping tool which I assume you don't have and which is fairly expensive. Maybe a buddy who has a tool or knows how to solder?

Measure to the new bolt, cut the wire and crimp or solder a properly sized terminal onto the wire.

Let us know what you plan to do.

I ve been trying to take out grounding bolt from engine block but its so rusted it is getting difficult to maneuver around wires. I figure easiest way would be to cut off ground wire. Can I do that and how will I fix it when I put everything back together?

I'm trying to figure out what you're attempting to do. Are you trying to remove the coil mount bracket bolts after the coil mount has been removed, or are you trying to remove the wiz nuts from the stud end of the bolts?

Before cutting that ground wire I would make all attempts to remove whatever it is you are trying to remove.

The ground wire is an 8 gauge wire and the ring terminal end has a 5/16" hole. Special crimpers are required to install a new terminal end on the ground wire, which are expensive and hard to find.

Improper crimpin, or use of the wrong type terminal end, will cause failure of the connection over time, or introduce high resistance in the ground circuit.

Yes thats correct. I tried removing nuts but they were too rusted so I ended up trying to take bolt out.

Is it just the battery ground cable nut that is rusted in place, or do you have the other nut removed?

If the other nut has been removed and the terminal ends removed you may want to try this (it will take some work):

Remove the battery (-) connector from the battery, remove the ground cable at the right inner fender (it will be rusty as well), remove the (+) battery connector, remove the battery, remove the ground cable assembly from the loom (PITA I know) all the way to the coil stud/bolt.

Using an open end wrench turn the coil mount bracket stud/bolt (with the rusted nut) out while carefully twisting the freed up ground cable assembly around with each turn of the stud/bolt. You may need a helper to do this.

The bolt end of the stud/bolt extends 3/4" into the engine block so have patience removing it.

Once the entire mess has been removed you can work on removing the terminal end nut. Put the mangled nut in a vice and turn the stud/bolt free from the nut using an open end wrench.

FYI pic of the area that JeepNovice is dealing with. This ground point is called G101.

The pic shows an additional terminal end on the stud that the battery ground cable connects to. Originally both of those smaller wire terminal ends were connected to the one stud on your right. After cleaning the terminal ends I reconnected them as shown in the pic. I hope JeepNovice doesn't have the grounds hooked like I do or he has more problems than anticipated.

G101.jpg

Mine only has one bolt and one ground cable. There's obviously a bolt missing on mine.

Do you have the three wire terminal ends as shown in the pic - two small and one large from the battery?

If you only have one stud/bolt some butcher has probably lost it and I wouldn't put it past him to force a metric nut on the remaining SAE stud (?). It takes a 5/16-18 nut.

Edit: Can you take a photo of what you have and post it here?

I'm going to post pics in a few minutes as I took pictures I figured out I could leave ground wire alone n just get a bolt to put other wire from which terminal broke off.

Back