• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior lights staying on.

XBoBJ

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj 4.0 5 speed.

my interior lights randomly come on and wont go off. i have all door switches out. it has keyless entry i removed the module. still staying on. i have to pull the fuse under the hood that controls the radio and apearently the interior lights. any idea where to look next?

Not on your particular year, but some spots that have given me grief in the past are the hatch switch or the cargo light switch. I had one that when the cargo light switch was switched, all the interior lights would stay on. Something was funky with the switch.

If all else fails pull up the drivers side carpet and check the wiring there. The under carpet wiring for my interior lights looked pretty corroded the last time I pulled the carpet up (in my 96). Where the interior light wires crossed over the hump, the wires were very near the gas pedal under the carpet. And looked like a potential future trouble spot, I moved them up higher and tied them there. They may or may not have rerouted those wires in the 97, but they were just about in the same place as they are in my 88, with just a little better protection (armor) than the 88 has, so it is likely very much the same or similar in your 97.

The headlight switch is always a suspect, the interior lighting position is often the first to fark up, with the dash light dimmer a close second.

Something to remember when troubleshooting the interior lighting, most of the lighting has constant power (through a fuse) at the bulb and grounding through the door switches, the hatch switch, the over head light switches, cargo switch and even the headlight switch, is what lights it up.

Last edited:
Not on your particular year, but some spots that have given me grief in the past are the hatch switch or the cargo light switch. I had one that when the cargo light switch was switched, all the interior lights would stay on. Something was funky with the switch.

If all else fails pull up the drivers side carpet and check the wiring there. The under carpet wiring for my interior lights looked pretty corroded the last time I pulled the carpet up (in my 96). Where the interior light wires crossed over the hump, the wires were very near the gas pedal under the carpet. And looked like a potential future trouble spot, I moved them up higher and tied them there. They may or may not have rerouted those wires in the 97, but they were just about in the same place as they are in my 88, with just a little better protection (armor) than the 88 has, so it is likely very much the same or similar in your 97.

The headlight switch is always a suspect, the interior lighting position is often the first to fark up, with the dash light dimmer a close second.

Something to remember when troubleshooting the interior lighting, most of the lighting has constant power (through a fuse) at the bulb and grounding through the door switches, the hatch switch, the over head light switches, cargo switch and even the headlight switch, is what lights it up.

thanks a ton. i forgot to mention, i pulled the cargo area fixture completely

Back