• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't go in reverse?

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I identified a 4wd '97 XJ I am looking at buying and the owner said that he is selling it because the Jeep wont go into reverse? What part(s) on the AW4 could fail that would cause this issue. I haven't yet test driven it so this is all the information I have. Any ideas? Also, what tests could I do when I look at it to narrow it down to electrical related versus mechanical (if that's a possibility)?

Thanks!

failed clutches, failed seals, failed sprag clutch... unless you have xray eyes, theres no way to know what failed until you tear it down.

valve body... no, likely not.

It might fix it, bit it can also be a broken piston oring or a sprag or worn out clutch disks. you'd better plan on finding another tranny.

Use the Google, there is an AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manual you can find that has troubleshooting charts, and testing procedures.

Thanks for the info! I have a working 4wd trans from an '01 sitting in my garage if I can't identify the issue and by replacing some failed internal bolt-on part after I pull the pan then I will look into the necessary wiring and TCU modifications to adapt over the entire trans.

My no-code diag chart for the AW4 shows

No reverse gear/ slips reverse gear ; repair as necessary ; see Auto Trans Overhaul AW4 this section

Thanks! I was reviewing that tread this morning. An '01 trans swap into a '97 really doesn't seem that bad at all if you just swap the tail assemblies.

Back