• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

iGNITION LOCK CYLINDER JAMMED

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I have an 88 MJ manual shift. Several days ago, the ignition cylinder would momentarily bind up when i tried to shut off the engine. I could wiggle the key and get it to turn to the off positon, but now it is jammed. I can start the truck and she runs great, but I cannot get the key out, nor can i turn it to the off/acc position. Finally just popped the clutch to kill the engine and disconnected the battery till i get this figured out. The lock cylinder has about 1/4 inch of travel in and out, but will not turn backwards from the run position.
I read the excellent write-up on lock cylinder removal, but as i understand it, this only works when there is no key in the cylinder.
Any ideas on how to get the key out so that i can remove and replace the lock cylinder?
Could the problem be in the rod that actuates the ignition switch on the column?
thanks for any ideas.

The remote rod can be released from the ignition switch down the column to eliminate the possibility of interference.

You could spray some lube in the lock cylinder, try "lightly" tapping the head of the key and see if that frees it up.

Okay Joe, will try those, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know if the cylinder will come out normally with the key inserted?

Tried tapping on the key, no luck. I have the lower dash panel off and tried moving the ignition rod to the switch, does not seem to be jammed, but still cannot remove the key.

Just for the heck of it try moving the key with the steering wheel off center and then again while juggling the steering wheel left and right, minutely. I had some issues with my steering wheel lock in my YJ (basically the same steering column as you have). Something about the loose cylinder and the steering wheel lock mechanism. I have seen the locking pin for the steering wheel get a burr and stick on Chevys (same column) usually after some dummy tried to force the steering wheel while trying to steel the car.

Do you have a tilt steering wheel? Is the tilt a little sloppy?

It has been so many years I hardly recollect anymore, but I had a stuck key and pulled the cylinder. I don't remember any real issues. I screwed the torx or hex head bolt that holds the cylinder in, out and yanked the cylinder out of there (after removing the buzzer contacts). As a matter of fact I now remember when I pulled the buzzer contacts they were kind of in a pretzel shape and may have been part of the sticky cylinder issue. I may be wrong it has been awhile.

I had this very same thing on my '93 XJ. After I diddled and fussed with everything
with no result. Then, in frustration, I removed the dash fascia and dribbled WD40 down
the pushrod that connects the ignition lock to the column-mounted ignition switch and
worked the pushrod by hand. That was about 3 years ago and everything has been OK
since.

Well, much as i hate to admit it, i chickened out on doing this myself. Took it to a local locksmith. he tore down the column, removed the lock, took it apart and fixed the cylinder pins that were jammed, re-assembled, tested, and made me a spare key.......$35.00 out the door.

thanks for the replies and suggestions, that is what makes NAXJA and COMANCHE CLUB the greatest forums on the net.....

Back