• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carter Fuel Module P76542M (new install)

62tmar

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Cherokee Laredo 4.0 5sp 89,000 miles.
Had to replace fuel module because of a pin hole leak in the fuel outlet pipe. Pump and sending unit were working correctly, before dealership replaced the module.
The dealership was the only place, in this small town, that could work on it on short notice.I didn't have much choice of where to get the repair done, other than me doing it.
The new Cater module P76542M (RockAuto) was installed, but now the pump is very audible, and the fuel gauge is reading empty and low fuel light is on. Can the float be hung up on the sock?

When the ignition is in the on position (not running), the pump primes then turns off, then a couple of seconds later the low fuel light turns on and reads empty, with at least 8 gal. in tank.
The car starts fine, runs fine, (relatively short drive to home) but the pump has a loud hum and no fuel gauge.(reads empty). I did a few searches here and Google, but did not find what I needed.(I did read many,many threads)

The wires from original plug (from module) are black,purple and orange.The new Carter module has gray, lavender(purple?) and black. When plugged into the car's loom, the colors don't match up.
Please, any tips or hints would be appreciated.
Thank you,
62tmar

Last edited:
call the dealer and explain to them that everything worked fine before they "repaired" it. They should take it back and make it right-- I'm surprised (kinda) that they would send it out in that condition if it didn't come in that way. Maybe post repair test drives are a thing of the past.

call the dealer and explain to them that everything worked fine before they "repaired" it. They should take it back and make it right-- I'm surprised (kinda) that they would send it out in that condition if it didn't come in that way. Maybe post repair test drives are a thing of the past.

Well, I am with Shorty--mostly--on this.

From the OP's post, seems like he had the dealership install a part he purchased from rockauto.com.

Now, the tech should have reported any malfunction on the work order, however, as the early tank fuel modules can be changed without draining the tanks the tech would really have no way of judging if the gauge was working correctly. "Should" he have noted the reading before tearing it down and installing the new part--yeah, but nobody is perfect.

So, that said, you have a shop that installed YOUR part, and if the part is defective then YOU will have to pay them AGAIN to change out the part. If the tech screwed the pooch and somehow jammed the float assembly--which doesn't seem probable--then they should do the labor under warranty.

Good luck.

Problem solved, repaired pin hole leak in original pump module. I reinstalled the unit, fuel gauge works and no hum.
Still wonder why the new Carter P76542M Fuel Module was faulty.

Thanks for the replies,
62tmarparty1:

P.S . I just looked at the bill from the dealer, last sentence "Vehicle operates as designed"

Last edited:
Rock and a hard place.

I only run Bosch pumps, the 69302 for our early XJs.

However, if you need a sending unit you are stuck buying someone else's module.

Back