• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transplanting '05 4.0L into my 1988 MJ. Wiring Q's

jomeza001

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there people. After over 10 years being a long time reader, i just decided to jump and place my first post.

I have a 1988 MJ stock with 4.0L engine and an auto tranny.
Two years ago, I replaced the motor with one out of a 2005 Wrangler TJ. I kept the MJ's original wiring, ignition system, flywheel. Had to mod the stock MJ's TPS and in order to fit it into the '05 throttle. I could never make the '05 IAC work properly when starting up the MJ. However it was fine after warm up.

Everything was ok for me until a few weeks ago. My old wiring shorted and a couple of wires fried (from the aftermarket regulator). It failed me while driving and after an hour of inspection i managed to fire it up again and get back home. Last Sunday i decided to start it up but the MJ refused.

I'm thinking of replacing the whole wiring instead of patching it.

So considering 1) I already swapped in a 2005 4.0 including injectors/sensors/serpentine/pumps AND 2) My MJ has an electronic (stock) Tranny... i'm wondering..

What year XJ's will be the best donor for engine wiring/ECU?

I'm not an XJ saavy and don't know if there were an XJ produced with a later model 4.0 I6 AND the same tranny my MJ came with? Or maybe i'll be better getting the exact same '88 XJ Wiring??

I will really appreciate your input. Tnx.
-Jorge

Last edited:
You can keep your tcu for the trans. Are you going for obd1 or 2?

I think to follow smog laws you have to go OBD2, right?
You might be best off to put an engine computer in from an 05 manual transmission Jeep, leaving your trans computer alone / feeding it the inputs it needs & using an 05 harness. I'm not positive that will work but it seems like a good bet to me.

Why not just stay with RENIX? You can use the HO intake/TB with a RENIX TPS/MAP/IAC.

I posted to a thread on here somewhere. The RENIX MAP can hook up to the intake and the IAC can be swapped and plug directly up. The TPS will require some minor fabrication.

Then you can leave the rest of the system as is. OBD1/2 would require a complete OBD1/2 harness.

Back